Ellen2BC Can Unite Students, Dispel Stigma

'The Heights' encourages students to support the campaign to bring Ellen DeGeneres to campus

Published: Thursday, December 6, 2012

The GLBTQ Leadership Council (GLC) has recently launched a campaign to bring notable stand-up comedian, television host, and GLBTQ activist Ellen DeGeneres to campus. They have garnered more than 1,500 signatures for their letter which, along with asking Ellen to visit Boston College, details the history of the GLC, the obstacles the GLBTQ community has faced as a result of being a part of a Jesuit, Catholic university, and the impact they believe a visit from Ellen could have on the BC community.

The Heights urges students and administrators at BC to take notice of this campaign and read the letter. At the very least, they will be better informed of the history of an organization and a subset of the BC community that unfortunately can be subject to stigma.

We also commend the GLC for taking on a project that, among other things, can serve as a way to dispel some of this stigma. By setting out to attract Ellen’s attention, they created a project that not only the GLBTQ community, but also the BC community as a whole can support. If GLC succeeds in bringing Ellen to BC, they will have organized an event that could attract a truly large and varied group of BC students. Such an event would work to break down the unnecessary and unfortunate stigma that many students who do not identify as GLBTQ associate with attending GLC events, and would hopefully increase attendance at future events.

The Heights encourages all members of the BC community, whether or not they take a particular interest in GLBTQ issues, to add their signature to the letter to Ellen and join the effort to bring a great speaker to campus.