Mayoral Race Deserves Attention Of Students

Students Living In Boston Should Consider Voting, City's Relationship To BC Affects University

Published: Thursday, October 3, 2013

Updated: Thursday, October 3, 2013 00:10

After the preliminary Boston mayoral election on Sept. 24, only two candidates will proceed to the general election in November, providing ample time for Boston College students to involve themselves in what is a landmark election for the city.

State Representative Martin J. Walsh and City Councilor John R. Connolly, the final two candidates in the mayoral election, both have ties to BC. Walsh earned a degree from the Woods College of Advancing Studies in 2009 and Connolly graduated from BC Law in 2001. Regardless of the outcome in November, an individual with a BC degree will be the new leader of Boston after Mayor Thomas M. Menino’s 20-year lock on the office.

Much of BC’s Lower Campus is within the Boston city limits. While a substantial portion of the campus is within Newton, the politics of the city of Boston can have a massive impact on the success and development of BC and its students.

City legislation has—and will continue to have—an impact on BC’s ability to develop its campus, as well as a significant impact on those who live off-campus. Relations between BC and the city of Boston have been part of the cause for delays in University expansion. While it may not yet be clear how significantly a new mayor will change the city’s relationship to the University, it is important that students remain cognizant of the issues in the campaign. Students living within the limits of Boston should seriously consider registering to vote in the mayoral election.

BC students interested in political science or law should also consider volunteering for the campaigns, as both of the candidates’ BC ties would likely make them more than happy to have BC students as supporters of their campaigns.