Relay Organizers Promote Awareness, Involvement

The Twelve-Hour Nighttime Event Helps Foster An Environment Of Caring, Consciousness At BC

Updated: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 22:02

This Friday, hundreds of students will gather in the Plex for Boston College’s largest non-sporting event on campus: Relay for Life. Over 100 teams have registered to partake in this year’s fight against cancer, and participants have been preparing for the event for several months. The Heights would like to recognize the successful planning behind the event, as well as the efforts of committee members to increase the presence of Relay for Life on campus through fundraisers, fliers, and social media. The Heights also encourages students to attend the event on Friday and lend their support to the many people in our community who have been affected by cancer in some way. We hope students will take this opportunity to join their peers in tomorrow’s ceremony, which has several objectives: to celebrate survivors, remember those who have passed, and contribute to the necessary funds for cancer research and raising awareness.

The event, which will commence at 6 p.m. on Friday and continue until 6 a.m. on Saturday morning, features plenty of entertainment for students throughout the night. A cappella and dance groups, such as the Heightsmen, the Acoustics, and the Dance Organization of Boston College, will be performing at various times during the evening. In addition, there will be opportunities to win raffles and play games. Most notably, however, the Luminaria ceremony and presentations from cancer survivors will culminate into an incredibly powerful and moving experience, which is one of the main reasons that Relay for Life has gained so much support throughout campus and throughout the country.

Students who have not yet registered for a team can still sign up through the BC Relay for Life website through the day of the event. Even those who are not attending can still support the organization through donations and help the Relay committee reach their goal of raising $150,000 to donate to the American Cancer Society. From bake sales to collaborating with other student organizations, the teams have been raising funds in many different ways, which is a testament to their hard work and immense amount of dedication.