Students Should Vote To Name BC Eagle 'Welles'

Of The Potential Names For The New Live Mascot, 'Welles' Best Embodies The Spirit Of Boston College

Published: Thursday, September 19, 2013

Updated: Thursday, September 19, 2013 00:09

Since it was first suggested as the mascot for Boston College athletic teams in a 1920 letter to the editor of The Heights, the eagle has embodied the spirit of BC. At the end of Linden Lane, the symbol watches over students as they strive to  new heights academically and in their service as “men and women for others.”

This fall, a live eagle has returned to the Heights for the first time since the 1960s. To name the new live mascot, BC is asking students to vote for one of several options—among them, Ignatius, Aquila, and BosCo—that symbolize various aspects of the University and its history.

Only one name, however, matches the eagle itself in representing the true essence of BC. Students should choose the name “Welles,” after Welles Remy Crowther, BC ’99, who served as the ultimate example of bravery, selflessness, and service for others on Sept. 11, 2001. According to BC Athletics, the name has received the blessing of the Crowther family if students so vote. The BC community should take this opportunity to honor the “man in the red bandana,” whose spirit we should all seek to emulate in our daily lives. Crowther’s legacy has become an integral part of our University’s identity, and is worthy of remembrance each time the eagle takes flight over Alumni Stadium.