Study your UGBC presidential contenders

‘The Heights’ urges students to educate themselves on their candidate options

On Wednesday, the campaigning period for the positions of president and vice president of the Undergraduate Government of Boston College (UGBC) commenced, and voting for the primary election is now just a week away.
As the candidates take advantage of the short amount of time during which they may appeal to voters, The Heights encourages all students to be aware of what each campaign offers and to select the team best positioned to effectively lead. This year's election features five teams, some of which have already begun releasing their platforms and discussing their ideas with fellow students. As has been the case in previous elections, we should expect to see teams proposing unique plans for the University and the student body, and individual candidates bringing distinct experiences to their campaigns.
Question the candidates. As platforms are made available on campaign websites, they should scrutinize them and weigh the relative feasibility of what each team hopes to achieve, making sure that their votes are cast for a team whose vision aligns with their own. Whether or not students actively participate in UGBC-sponsored events, the candidates elected will have an influence on the experiences of all students next year, and it is important that all voters know what the candidates they vote for hope to achieve.
Throughout the campaign, The Heights will provide coverage of the teams as they participate in events and reveal their plans. We encourage students to be informed in their voting, and to select the candidates most representative of their own visions for the University.