UGBC survey a step toward transparency

Students should participate in surveys to give tangible feedback to our student government

The Heights would like to commend UGBC for their recent survey of the opinions of the student body. As has been noted in previous editorials, UGBC is often criticized for being a very closed group, which serves the needs of only a few students rather than the 9,000-plus undergraduates as a whole. This criticism, though inevitable and understandable due to the general disinterest of a large majority of the student body, still represents the opinions of a large segment of the population and therefore must be addressed.

That being said, the recent "Be the Change" survey is an example of a clear effort on the part of UGBC to reach out to students for ideas and opinions, asking questions such as, "What is the one thing you would improve at Boston College?" UGBC is undoubtedly the most well-equipped organization on campus to implement change, and The Heights appreciates their attempt to reach out to the general BC student body.

In the future, The Heights also calls upon more students to participate in UGBC surveys.  If you have problems with the undergraduate government, one of the best ways to voice those concerns is through these surveys, which can then address them directly. UGBC should not have to bribe students with prizes to get only 10 percent of students to express their concerns.