Emergency response class prepares students

C-CERT helps the BC community learn how to respond safely to a multitude of disasters, helping all

Published: Thursday, April 26, 2012

Last weekend, the Boston College Office of Emergency Management sponsored a free Campus-Community Emergency Response Team (C-CERT) class for students interested in learning how to respond to potential emergencies on campus. The class, held on Saturday and Sunday, taught students basic first aid, light search and rescue, fire suppression, and a variety of other skills that would be necessary in the event of a disaster on campus. Students participated in crisis simulations that gave them experience with the efficient decision making and quick response necessary during disasters, such as school shootings, explosions, and severe weather.

The Heights would like to commend the Office of Emergency Management for providing this opportunity to the BC community. Though disasters and emergencies are relatively rare on our campus, it is always helpful for students to be prepared for dangerous situations. The skills learned in the C-CERT class can be applied in situations ranging from a scraped knee or a stove fire to a full building blaze or a multiple vehicle collision. The students who attended the class are undoubtedly better off for the experience, having gained many skills that they typically would not obtain at BC.

Given the value of such knowledge, The Heights encourages even more students to participate in the C-CERT program when it is offered in the future. The skills students in the class learn might never be used, and the scenarios they are exposed to might never happen, but in the event that they do, those who participated will be able to respond in a much more effective way.