Event overcrowding begs for streamlined calendar

With frequent overscheduling of student programming, The Heights proposes a universal calendar

Published: Thursday, March 29, 2012

In light of the multitude of events occurring over this past weekend at Boston College, The Heights would like to address the issue of over-scheduling of events, as well as the lack of a cohesive events calendar for student groups. Often, there are weekends where multiple events are scheduled for the same day, followed by weekends with only a few scattered events. Many factors affect event planning. However, it seems that there is a lack of communication between student groups about the process. 

The Heights would like to propose the use of an accessible student-organized calendar outlining events. Though there are calendars like this already in existence, such as the arts calendar available on bc.edu, none of these calendars are utilized as a place for all club heads to publicize their individual events.

The myBC calendar would be a great place to begin this project, since it is already set up for student use. The Heights recognizes that myBC has the potential to be a wonderful space for students to discuss, organize, and promote their programs. For this calendar to be effective, it needs to be utilized by more clubs and organizations, be better publicized to students, and be easier to use. Currently, the myBC calendar is relatively unknown and unused.

BC has many great events taking place–events that different clubs spend time organizing and funding. The best way to boost attendance at these events is to make it simpler for students to hear about them. Therefore, The Heights urges UGBC to take a better look at the calendar in place in hopes of making it more cohesive, organized, and accessible for students. The events are there, but without publicity and knowledge, no one will attend them. Making this calendar easier to use and accessible will benefit the entire student body, and will turn myBC into the first stop for students looking for something to do.