Feb. 14 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Updated: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 22:02

Ain’t No Shake Like a Harlem Shake

- Here we were, thinking Mardi Gras was going to pass by quietly (a disappointing but pretty unsurprising fact), when a beautiful thing happened. A man in a robe with a bucket on his head got up and started wiggling on a table in Bapst. Now BC has their very own 30 second Harlem Shake video, which we think is a symbol of all that is good about the Internet, college students, and Bapst. Hats off to the orchestrators for realizing that there is no better way to welcome Lent than to dance on your hands in a metallic body suit in America’s prettiest college library.

Farewell, Beans, Creams & Dreams

- Before you all rush out in a fit of passionate loyalty to stage a sit-in at everyone’s favorite dining location, Beans, Creams & Dreams, to prevent it from being transformed into the Waffle Hut, let us here at Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down try our very best to convince you that, contrary to the pervading sentiment on campus, life can survive without the legendary BCD. Here are the reasons to accept the Waffle Hut in its stead: 1. The Waffle Hut has a name which actually gives us a good idea of what it sells: waffles. Beans, Creams & Dreams, on the other hand, conjures up images of … well, we don’t even know. If we had to venture a guess, we’d say coffee. Some research tells us that BCD does, in fact, sell coffee, in addition to ice cream and hot dogs. The obvious question: what qualifies these hot dogs to be placed in the "dream" category… ? 2. The Waffle Hut at least has a grammatically correct name. Where, we ask, is the Oxford Comma in Beans, Creams & Dreams? How can we patronize an organization that dismisses the most sensible grammar convention of all time? 3. Face it, if you’ve ever even had BCD, it was at freshman orientation. It’s time to leave that person behind. Embrace the Waffle Hut.

Forty Days Later

- It’s that time of year again, when all the Easter Catholics come out of the woodwork, suddenly filled with the spirit of our Lord Jesus Christ who has graciously imbued them with the courage to swear off soda for 40 days. We’re promising a Thumbs Up to anyone who sticks with their Lenten resolution all the way until Easter. If eternal salvation wasn’t motivation enough, there ya go.

Good-Bye To The Pope

- First of all, we’re giving a Thumbs Up to Pope Benedict XVI because we deem him a boss for deciding to do what no pope has done in six centuries. Maybe his brief foray into the realm of Twitter introduced him to our favorite saying "Do you," thus giving him the inspiration to finally make his move. But also maybe not. Anyways, this situation also deserves a Thumbs Up because we now get to witness rituals that literally haven’t changed in hundreds and hundreds of years. If we manage to block out of our minds the fact that we’re watching it on television, reading about it on the Internet (possibly via our smart phone), and probably enjoying the luxuries of running water in some way, shape, or form whilst observing it, it’s almost like we’ve been teleported back a millennium or so.

It’s Getting Hot In Here

- Despite the fact that it’s causing all the snow to melt, which is in turn causing massive puddles to form which can be slightly annoying, we are happy about the heat spell we are in the midst of. It’s a nice little post-Nemo detox session. And, considering the groundhog was unable to spot his shadow a couple weeks ago, maybe these pleasant temperatures are a teaser for what’s to come in the not-too-distant future? We don’t know about you, but we’re ready for skirt day.

Happy Campers

- Thumbs Up to ourselves for being in such a good mood that we couldn’t think of a single Thumbs Down. If you have something you want to Thumbs Down, though, tweet at us! @BCTUTD.