Feb. 4 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down
Published: Sunday, February 3, 2013
Updated: Sunday, February 3, 2013 21:02
The Eagles are back
- The hockey team is back in the saddle! Silly Vermont thought their goal in the first few minutes would get them somewhere. The most notable part of the game was probably the Boston College Eagle’s impressive and varied demonstrations of their ability to play hockey without a stick. In the first period, after his stick was broken, Brown stopped the puck twice in just a couple minutes from getting near the goal: first with his skate and next with his entire body. Later, Milner deflected the puck with his helmet (whether or not this move was intentional is irrelevant). Basically, when the tally of shots stopped with something that was neither a stick nor a hand reached three, we knew we were watching the reigning national champs.
Dreaming of a white Super Bowl Sunday
- Snow flurries. Could there be more pleasant winter weather? Snowflakes you can catch on your tongue, a bright sky, no need to wear tights under your jeans. Suddenly February doesn’t seem so bad.
- Beanpot today!! The Beanpot is the best hockey game of the year. Yes, we would argue, even better than the National Championship, because at the Beanpot, we constantly get to assure the opposing team, often in offensive language, that we are the best school in Boston. Harvard needs to know that it was coincidentally the safety school of every single one of us! They try and pull that "Sunday School" crap? Don’t they know that Jesuit is the greatest breed of human there is? And never forget, Eagles: Jesus loves us, and it sucks to BU.
Where’s the guac?
- Super Bowl Sunday, the Holiest of Days of Obligation, has come and passed. Americans love Super Bowl Sunday because it is invariably a day of feast: spicy hot chili, seven layer bean dip, the tortilla chips shaped like bowls so you can get all seven layers of aforementioned dip into a single bite, nachos, wings, fries, and every other food that will ensure a Plex packed with girls for the next three days. Why, you may be thinking, is this in the Thumbs Down column? Well, we will tell you. BC did NOTHING to aid in our festivities. Some guacamole in the mini marts would have sufficed, but nothing! Not even at City Co. Which means we had to spend real money on that stuff! We can understand Lower not stocking up on cases of Sam Adams for the day, but come on. You could have hit us up with some Tostitos Gold.
Longest National Anthem
- We’re pretty sure Alicia Keys set the record this Super Bowl for longest ever rendition of the National Anthem. They should have cut to a commercial.
Those meddlesome midterms
- The first round of midterms is approaching, and we are not happy about it. Also, how is it possible to have two rounds of midterms within one term? Doesn’t the preface "mid" seem to imply ‘middle’? Doesn’t each semester only have one middle? Seeing as this whole 2-midterms schedule seems to defy mathematics, what are the chances boycotting them would gain us favor with our math professor? Extra credit? How impressed are you that we wrote almost this whole TD in questions?