Feb. 6 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Updated: Thursday, February 6, 2014 03:02

Thumbs Up

Snow Day - When we had a snow day in January, the University was really just being a tease—we only had off until 11 a.m., many classes weren’t cancelled, and it really wasn’t much fun. This time, the University has stepped up its game and has given us a whole day off. While trekking through the snow has been less than fun, it is nice to see that people are taking advantage of the situation and snowmen have popped up around campus. Now if only we could get another….

Fiddle Kid - Every Boston College hockey game, “The Devil Went Down to Georgia” draws out the excitement and air fiddling of the crowd. Noted among the many students is one small ginger-haired child, whom we shall refer to as “The Fiddle Kid.” Whenever he comes on the Jumbotron, the entire student body erupts into cheers and excitement. At the Beanpot last Monday, he was even held up and “Simba-d” while the BC student section erupted into applause. We hope to see him at games for years to come.

Thumbs Down

Stay in School PSA - There is a particular video that we have in mind here, but this could be equally applicable to other PSAs of which we are not aware. It starts how one would expect a PSA supporting staying school to start—with a bunch of kids playing hooky and taking an impromptu trip down to the beach. They are a bunch of attractive kids, they’re smiling and having fun, and there is upbeat happy music playing in the background. Then, BOOM, all of a sudden … well … quite literally, BOOM. They all start exploding. There’s blood, guts, and gore everyone and the one girl left at the end is crumpled on the sand, covered in blood, and bawling. Cut to the end and it’s telling kids to stay in school. Now that’s really messed up.

Celebrities in Congress - Recently, Clay Aiken—of American Idol fame—has announced that he is launching a bid for Congress in his home state of North Carolina. To be honest, we never thought we would see the day when an American Idol runner-up would be running for Congress, but we suppose we shouldn’t be surprised. After all, we have had Arnold Schwarzenegger and Ronald Reagan both make the shift from acting to governing. But they both started out in California. This is the Old South we’re talking about here—the land of seersucker suits, mint juleps, yes, sir/yes, ma’am, Cotillion balls, and Old World propriety. We expect better of them than to elect a pop singer to Congress.