Feb. 7 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down
Published: Wednesday, February 6, 2013
Updated: Wednesday, February 6, 2013 21:02
We Heart Valentine’s Day
- Valentine’s Day is approaching, and this deserves a Thumbs Up. No, not because we enjoy basking in the beauty of love that is all around us, but because it means there will be chocolate. All those people who say they hate Valentine’s Day are lying. How could you when at least half of your friends (and maybe you if you’re lucky) are getting care packages from kind family members that contain chocolate in all shapes and forms: the classic Hershey kisses, brownies, maybe some See’s? It’s delicious, it’s free, and you get so much you can share with everyone you know, making yourself numerous new friends. We know it’s all a scheme created by Hallmark to make money, and we thank them for that.
Let It Snow
- Word on the street is there’s an actual snow storm headed our way tomorrow! Hopefully we get enough that it stays on the ground for more than a day and a half this time. We just want the chance to take a plethora of snowy Gassongrams, is that too much to ask?
Greetings, Google, Meet BC
- BC student email is moving to Google Apps! Finally. We like to look at it this way: Gmail is to Webmail as a rocket ship is to a hot air balloon. UIS is still the equivalent of running off a cliff and flapping your arms hoping to fly, but we’ve pretty much surrendered in that arena.
Professors and Please Stop
- OK, the Academic Advising Center needs to calm it with the Professors and Pastries emails. I know a less-than-enthusiastic turnout can be disheartening, but sending emails in 4 million point font complete with one exclamation point for every undergraduate who has never attended a Professors and Pastries is not the way to suddenly change our minds. And when the subject of your email is "YOUR (sic) NOT HERE!!" we’re not exactly convinced that we’re missing out on a particularly intellectually enriching experience. However, since we here at Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down are in the spirit of helping, we’re hosting a "Copy Editors and Coffee" event in McElroy 113 on Sunday at 5 p.m. You are cordially invited, Academic Advising Center, to come, escape the freezing temperatures, and learn something about grammar.
Watch Out For That Car!
- Cars on campus. The BC campus is full of pedestrians all the time, everywhere. Yes, we realize there are roads for cars, but that does not give you the right to speed past us when we are walking innocently on the way to class, probably texting or checking Twitter like any self-respecting, instant-gratification-requiring 20-year-old should be, and certainly not paying attention to you. So please, check your aggressive Boston driving habits at the gate.
Grammy Dress Code
- CBS recently sent out an email urging all Grammy attendees to dress appropriately at the ceremony. Where, we ask, is the fun in that? What is an award show without any side boob? Furthermore, the email was just a poor business move. Now we’re not saying we’re in CSOM or anything, but this is the generation of Lady Gaga. Outrageous and inappropriate clothing is the reason most people even tune into that awards show in the first place. Making public the fact that it is being discouraged is equivalent to halving the amount of viewers that tune in. All we’re saying is Do You, Nicki Minaj.