Jan. 30 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Published: Thursday, January 30, 2014

Updated: Thursday, January 30, 2014 00:01

Thumbs Up

Deporting Justin Bieber - Apparently, a petition has been going around in an attempt to deport Justin Bieber. Recently, Bieber has been involved in several legal entanglements, one in Florida over an alleged drunk driving incident, and another in California regarding a possible felony egging in his Calabasas neighborhood. The petition claims that he is a poor representation of pop culture, as well as being reckless and a bad example. It seems unlikely that either of these cases will be cause for deportation, but another argument is being circulated by a Washington Post writer that he should be deported based on the visa that he has—one for those with “extraordinary ability in the arts.” Now, that case sounds pretty reasonable to us.

Loose-Leaf Tea - On a cold winter’s day, there is nothing that warms the soul quite as much as a nice cup of tea. While most people who consume that wonderful ambrosia of the gods use tea bags to prepare their beverages, some venturous souls—such as we at TU/TD—venture out into the great, uncharted territory that is the land of loose-leaf tea. It is a mystical place, where establishments such as Teavana go to stock up their vast stores of loose-leaf tea, and it has more different varieties than there are types of Beanie Babies. There are types that sound like an alien species—such as Oolong. So go get a cup of hot water, find a strainer, and indulge in the wonders of loose-leaf tea. You won’t regret it.

Thumbs Down

Sochi Security 2014 - Right now, we are less than a week away from the beginning of the 2014 Winter Olympics, but things are not looking good. Although the days of the Olympics acting as the battle grounds for a proxy Cold War between the USSR and the U.S. are long behind us, things seem to be quite icy in the days leading up to this year’s Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia. There have been numerous allegations of corruption, nepotism, favoritism, and even one death threat to a Russian whistleblower. A former deputy director of the CIA has called into question Russia’s cooperation with the U.S. government’s attempts to ensure the safety of U.S. athletes and spectators, and some members of Congress have echoed this sentiment. This is rather disappointing given the tendency of the Olympics to bring even antagonistic nations together in the pursuit of sport. If Russia and America are going to butt heads, it should at least be in the hockey rink, where we can watch them check each other with abandon. Now, that would be a show worth watching.

Rogue Ice Patches - They are dirty rotten scoundrels, those black ice patches. You are just walking along, minding your own business, when BOOM, all of a sudden, you’re flat on your back and you don’t know why. It’s all because of those sneaky, hidden patches of black ice. They are better hidden than the art stolen by the Nazis during World War II and sneakier than a CIA operative trying to assassinate Fidel Castro. Those dastardly entities are impossible to spot until it is too late and you are halfway to becoming intimately connected with the sidewalk.