Kuechly's selection cements a golden career

The success and character of the former BC linebacker serves as an example for all student athletes

Published: Monday, April 30, 2012

The Heights would like to extend congratulations to former Boston College football player Luke Kuechly, who was selected by the Carolina Panthers as the ninth overall pick in Thursday’s NFL Draft, making him the highest drafted linebacker in the program’s history.

Kuechly’s selection is a testament to his character, work ethic, and leadership abilities. While some scouts questioned his athleticism heading into the draft, the Cincinnati native trained tirelessly to prove that he is capable of competing in the professional ranks. His efforts solidified his position as the top linebacker in the draft, and as a worthy top-10 pick.

The Heights commends Kuechly for setting an example for all college athletes. He has epitomized the ideal student athlete, and maintained a grounded character. While many talented athletes lose sight of how to act, Kuechly has been a model citizen during his three years here. He worked hard in the classroom, led by example on the practice field, and maintained good relationships with his teammates, coaches, and fans.

Luke Kuechly has always maintained that his goals were to work his way into the NFL. He has utilized every opportunity given to him to become the nation’s leading tackler, and now an elite NFL selection. The Panthers are fortunate to not only land a star player, but also a locker room leader and a role model. Good luck in your first NFL preseason, and thanks for setting such a good example during your time here, Luke.