LTE: BC Student Gave Unreservedly In Wake Of Marathon Bombings

Published: Thursday, January 16, 2014

Updated: Thursday, January 16, 2014 02:01

I wanted to take a moment to let you know of a student at your college who helped me after the marathon tragedy. I would appreciate it if he could be provided with recognition.

Given Boston College’s endeavor to educate a new generation of leaders … with a concern for all of the human family, your student’s example and kindness to a stranger is being talked about with family and friends and will long be remembered.

I only know that his name is Jackson, he is an International Business major and was getting up Tuesday morning at 5:30 a.m. for soccer practice.

When I was stopped near Kenmore Square and found out my family was unable to meet me on the course and that they were at Riverside T-station, Jackson walked me to Cleveland Circle. On the way, he asked if he could get me something to drink and let me call my family so they would know we were making progress.

When we arrived at Cleveland Circle and there were no taxis to be found and traffic was at a standstill, Jackson continued to walk me to the Boston College stadium, the nearest landmark that my family could plug into a GPS and drive to.

Jackson was not headed in this direction. He didn’t have to take the time he did. He also refused my husband when we tried to give him some money as a small appreciation for his time, cell phone, and kindness.

I’m glad that Jackson choose Boston College and I am thankful that while leaving downtown himself on the way to his destination, he took a tremendous amount of time to help someone he didn’t know.

Last Saturday was my first time to run “Heartbreak Hill” as a charity runner for the 2014 Boston marathon. Another charity runner I was with was telling me of her being stopped during the marathon and her challenging experience. As she was crying and running, I told her about my incredibly positive experience with your BC student. It’s people like Jackson who represent the best of Boston College and are still providing inspiration into this year.

Jill Judah
Boston Marathoner #21744