Meal plan changes, good or bad, are necessary

Dining Services' soon to be implemented changes may be unpopular, but were done with students mind

Published: Monday, April 30, 2012

Next fall, Boston College Dining Services will be revamping the mandatory residential dining program in an effort to increase overall revenue and to address the everyday challenges of rising food prices and increasing operating costs. To do so, the current A La Carte system will be modified, adding the three new mini marts locations across campus, but also removing Hillside Cafe from the list of locations that accept mandatory residential plan funds.

In an attempt to offset this change, BC Dining will also move $100 from the mandatory residential plan to dining bucks, increasing the amount that can be spent at the Chocolate Bar, mini marts, Hillside, concessions, and vending machines to $350.

The Heights recognizes that this change is going to be a shock for Hillside’s many loyal patrons, and we do not think that an additional $100 is enough to accommodate for this change, especially because some students eat at the popular location every day. We urge BC Dining to keep this in mind as the changes are implemented, and seek to do what they can to address student concerns.

However, The Heights wants to point out to students that the changes being made are unfortunately necessary in order to keep up with rising food and operating costs, and commends BC Dining for working to keep these changes as mild as possible.

The Heights appreciates that BC Dining did not compromise the core of our dining program, which includes broad hours of operation, a liberal “A La Carte” system, and integration of the University’s mission of social justice as demonstrated by paying a living wage to employees and supporting over a dozen service trips a year with meal plan donations. We remind students of these benefits and ask that they keep them in mind when considering the changes being made by dining.

The Heights would also like to encourage students who feel their concerns are not being properly addressed to get involved with the student dining committee. As with most things, action is the quickest way to end discontentment.

1 comments