Thumbs Up/ Thumbs Down

• Sept. 5 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up   Welcome Back! - As we embark on this third day of classes, and you all have most likely safely emerged from the period of endless recitation of name, year (a word whose usage in association with yourself undoubtedly still brings with it a tinge of disbelief and, for sophomores new found coolness but for seniors early onset nostalgia), major, and hometown, we wish you the best of luck with the forthcoming days as actual lectures take the place of light syllabus reading and early dismissal.

• May 2 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up This Is It, Ladies And Gentlemen - Well, here we are folks. The last day of classes. Thumbs Up to all professors who realize that this should in fact be a party and act accordingly. If you don’t bring food and music, you’re doing it wrong.

• Apr. 29 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up    Puppy Love - If you follow us on Twitter, you know that we love Arts Fest. We even claimed that it was impossible to be sad whilst Arts Fest was going on, and we believe that. So what if we had a cheeseburger three days in a row? Arts Fest calories don’t count, duh, cuz you burn them off with all the intense smiling and laughing and clapping and art-pondering you do.

• Apr. 25 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up   Stokes Is A Portal To The Future! - Have you been in Stokes S195? It’s like the auditorium of the future. When you need to sit in a chair, they appear. When you stand up, they fold up into small little rectangles of velvet and sleek metal that take up basically no space at all.

• Apr. 22 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up Hashtag Lower Probz - Gotta hand it to BC this Friday, especially all those individuals involved in coordinating meal times for students. The process of getting dinner from Lower was so efficient, we almost wish it was like that everyday.

• Apr. 18 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up   #Prayforboston - Thumbs Up marathon runners, marathon spectators, Eagle EMS, the Boston Police Department, the BC Police Department, every BC student, the BAA, RAs, RDs, the BC community, and the city of Boston. (We need more thumbs).   The More The Merrier? - Apparently almost everyone who got into Boston College wants to come here! This is surely a Thumbs Up! The message: BC is wonderful and everybody knows it.

• Apr. 11 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up You’ve got Mail! - Thumbs Up the all caps words PACKAGE RECEIPT NOTIFICATION. We thumbs down lots of emails from various departments at Boston College (sorry BC Parking and Transportation and Professors and Pastries), but the aforementioned subject line always brings a smile to our faces.

• Apr. 8 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up   Skirt Day - Though we are writing this on Sunday and you are most likely reading it on Monday, we can say with a good degree of certainty that Monday (tomorrow for us as we write this, today for you as you read this) is Skirt Day. For some, perhaps those who made the decision to leave the temperate climates of California or Florida to attend university in the frigid northeast, this is the best day of the year.

• Apr. 4 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up   The Joy of What’s To Come - Welcome back, everyone, from the last real break of this 2012-13 academic year and to the best part of the year!  Some highlights for the month and a half that’s left: course registration, Marathon Monday, shorts weather, Modstock, and the unbeatable feeling that comes with the completion of your last exam.

• Mar. 25 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up   Please Wallow In The Depths - Our first Thumbs Up goes out to ourselves and all the lovely editors of The Heights. If you’re reading this, you probably noticed that the first section of our newspaper was a little different this time… Yes, we kind of jumped the gun on the whole April 1st thing, but why wait? Also, we don’t have an issue until the 4th.

• Mar. 21 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up   The Holy Four - Along with spring, March Madness has arrived. Because our very own Eagles will sadly not be making an appearance, we’re suggesting a collective praying session for any school Jesuit. We’re calling it now: Creighton, Gonzaga, Marquette, and Georgetown in the Final Four.

• Mar. 18 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up Time For Class - Course pick times are up, and everyone is once again filled with the academic enthusiasm that he or she possesses at the outset of each semester and at every course registration time. You pore over the class offerings, thrilled by the seemingly endless possibilities for intellectual avenues your mind can embark upon.

• Mar. 14 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up   Habemus Papam - In case you live under a rock with a sack over your head and noise canceling earphones on, you have probably heard that the new pope is a Jesuit! Yes, that’s right, one of our own. This is the most exciting thing to happen since Baldwin was featured in a SportsCenter commercial! The medley of news vans on campus yesterday is a testament to the fact that we, the members of Boston College, are now famous.

• Feb. 28 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up   Spring Break - Two more days to sweet, sweet freedom. Even though we all have homework to do over the break, we won’t. Sure, we say we’ll do it on the plane, but then it seems so much more appealing to sleep/watch that movie we’ve never heard of/do the crossword in the magazine in the seatback pocket … and the Sudoku … and the word scramble … and memorize the floor plans of all the major U.

• Feb. 25 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up   Macklemoooooooore - Macklemore is coming to Boston College!! We are proposing that the entire day of Modstock be “Thrift Shop” themed. So everyone, pull out your big-ass coat and your granddad’s clothes—you’ll look incredible.      Macklemoooooooore pt 2 -We don’t particularly know why we are making this a separate Thumbs Up, but we are.

• Feb. 21 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up   Happiest Time of the Year - Once again, we are all reminded why America is the best country in the world: Girl Scout cookies. For those of you who gave up cookies for Lent, the Girl Scouts of America’s sweet smiling faces in Mac above the brightly colored boxes containing some of the tastiest delights this planet has to offer may seem like a cruel temptation (but c’mon guys, WWJD?), but for the rest of us, it is the surest sign that God exists during this cold midterm season.

• Feb. 18 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up   Fanatical  About Froyo - This Thumbs Up is not just another fact of life/occurrence of which we have a positive opinion and are using this column as a place to air that opinion solely for our own amusement. No, this one is a vital piece of information that all Boston College students must know if they wish to fully enjoy their time here: Frozen yogurt from Angora Cafe is absolutely the best food item you can get delivered to your dorm room.

• Feb. 14 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Ain’t No Shake Like a Harlem Shake - Here we were, thinking Mardi Gras was going to pass by quietly (a disappointing but pretty unsurprising fact), when a beautiful thing happened. A man in a robe with a bucket on his head got up and started wiggling on a table in Bapst.

• Feb. 11 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up Finding nemo - A preemptive thumbs up to all of you for reading through all of our Thumbs Up, Thumbs Downs (just as you do every Monday and Thursday, we presume), even though they are all Nemo-themed. True, there’s not much diversity of subject in this column today, but we felt some commentary on Snowmageddon 2013 was needed.

• Feb. 7 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up   We Heart Valentine’s Day - Valentine’s Day is approaching, and this deserves a Thumbs Up. No, not because we enjoy basking in the beauty of love that is all around us, but because it means there will be chocolate. All those people who say they hate Valentine’s Day are lying.

• Feb. 4 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up The Eagles are back - The hockey team is back in the saddle! Silly Vermont thought their goal in the first few minutes would get them somewhere. The most notable part of the game was probably the Boston College Eagle’s impressive and varied demonstrations of their ability to play hockey without a stick.

• Jan. 31 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up Thar she blows - A heartfelt Thumbs Up goes out to people who have no shame violently blowing their nose in the middle of class. I mean it. We’ve all been there, we all know the feeling. This person is the hero of our generation: daring to be different, not taking s—t from anyone.

• Jan. 28 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up   ADMITTED EAGLE DAY - So many good things about this day. First, it’s pretty much the only day of the year we are allowed to talk to complete strangers about how much we love BC without being considered creepy. Second, we are repeatedly brought back to our own college application experience and realize again and again with each blast from the past how much better it is to be in college than applying to it.

• Jan. 24 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up

P*mp our logo - Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down has gotten a makeover. Our faithful readers have no doubt noticed our vamped-up logo.  While it may not seem like much to you, we are wont to liken it to a coming of age of sorts. We feel that as an institution (which we of course consider ourselves), we have really come into our own, as they say. In line with this, we would like to take this time to clarify our mission: to be hilarious, observant, sassy, and a voice for the students of Boston College who are known in general to be a smart, sarcastic bunch. So please do the following things: 1) Take out your phones and follow us on twitter, @BCTUTD, and  2) If you notice anything particularly TU/TD worthy, tweet it at us, or hashtag TU or TD (#TU or #TD). Depending on the hilarity of your contributions, your tweet may be printed in the next issue of The Heights. Does it get any better than that??

mmmm Hot Cocoa - Even though you will see as you read further down this column that we later vehemently thumbs down the recent cold weather, we at TU/TD like to see the bright side of every situation. That is why we are giving a thumbs up to hot chocolate. Though we fully condone the consumption of this delicious beverage at all times of the year, drinking it while snuggled up in a blanket after just coming in from an outside temperature that sounds more like a time of day than anything that should be followed by the word “degrees”  just feels so right. 

Dress well, test well - The Internship fair, if only because it forces countless of our classmates to look classy as hell all day, which makes us feel classy by association, since we go to school with these dapper-looking, internship-seeking people.  

Thumbs Down

I was lost, but now I’m...still lost - Every student who has set up a meeting with a professor lucky enough to have had his/her office relocated to Stokes has, like us, come to the realization that the labyrinth of cubicles hidden in the upper floors of Stokes is just as hopelessly difficult to navigate as was the dreaded Maloney maze. What’s worse is that other departments, such as math, who previously had an extremely well-organized system of offices (albeit in hideous Carney), are now being relocated to Maloney. Pretty soon no one will ever be able to find any professor’s office, all office hours will be cancelled due to lack of demand, tour guides will no longer be able to boast of professor’s accessibility, and general havoc will ensue. But man, is Stokes pretty or what? 

Brr, it’s cold out there - Thumbs down this weather. Anytime it takes us 20 minutes to get dressed in the morning due to the sheer number of clothing items we are piling onto our ghostly pale bodies deserves a huge thumbs down. Two, in fact. Every single thumb we have is pointing downwards.

Beanpot, schmeanpot - In the same vein as above, if we want tickets to the Beanpot we have to be up and out the door before 7 a.m.? We know we’re addressing the school that still uses UIS, but isn’t there some way to do this electronically from the comfort of our twin XL beds?  

Zero dark three hours - Okay, we can’t understand this epicly long movie trend. Does it make any financial sense? They spend more, but can’t charge any more for tickets, and are probably only dissuading people from going to see it. We at TU/TD just want an explanation. 

• Jan 17 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Bathroom blunder   - Just a couple days ago, we tweeted (follow us on Twitter! @BCTUTD) a picture of the sign in front of the women’s bathroom in everyone’s favorite building, Stokes Hall. The sign read "WOMENS" and inspired us to briefly reflect on our past experiences with bathrooms: have we ever seen a bathroom sign that looked like this before? Was this grammatically okay? The answers, it turns out, are no and no.

• Dec. 6 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up BC Compliments- It seems that the world has figured out how to use the Internet’s power of anonymity for good. Please welcome the antithesis of cyber bullying, Boston College Compliments: a Facebook page where BC students can post anonymous notes to friends telling them how smart, wonderful, and beautiful they are.

• Dec. 3 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Ode to Stokes- ‘Twas two weeks before Winter break, And in front of Stokes Hall, The sod was completely lain, Bringing joy to all.   The path is now open For our feet to tread upon And the grass a beautiful green : A new era begun   The removal of the fence Is a symbol to every eagle Of the studies to take place Within those halls so regal.

• Nov. 19 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Ancient axe-wielders- News outlets in rural Russia are reporting that a local shepherd killed a vicious wolf who tried to attack the flock with an axe. The axe-wielder also happened to be a grandma. So next time you get the jitters walking through the graveyard or the O’Neill second floor bathroom, remember that a lil’ ol’ lady in Russia decapitated a vicious, ravenous beast like it ain’t no thang.

Thanksgiving- Ah, November, a time to give thanks that there is only a week left until boys shave their pedophile moustaches. It’s also a time to remember it’s still not kosher to use “buuuuuuut I’m in college” as an excuse when your parents demand to know why you came home at 3 a.m. and woke everyone up when you tried to order Dominos. But here’s to home, parents, high school friends, and bellies full of turkey.

• Nov.8 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down for November 8.

• Nov. 5 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down for Nov.5

• Oct. 15 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up Thumbs Down for October 15

• Oct. 11 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down for October 11

• Sept. 28 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down for Sept. 28

• Sept. 24 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down for Sept. 24

• Sept. 20 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up, Thumbs down for Sept.20

• Sept. 17 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Sept. 17 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

• Sept. 13 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down for Sept. 13

• Sept. 10 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

• Sept. 5 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down for Sept. 5

• May 3 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

May 3 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

• Apr.30 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down for April 30

• Apr. 26 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down for Apr.26

• Apr.23 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down for Apr.23

• Apr. 12 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down for April 12

• April 2 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down for April 2

• Mar. 29 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down for Mar. 29

• Mar. 26 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down Mar. 26

• Mar. 22 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down for Mar. 22

• Mar. 15 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down for Mar. 15

• Mar. 1 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down for Mar. 1st.

• Feb. 23 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down for Feb.23

Editorials

• Addazio Is Right To Honor Commitments

Next Year's Recruiting Class Must Be More Competitive If BC Hopes To Regain Lost Ground In The ACC

Head football coach Steve Addazio announced the addition of 17 new members to the Boston College football team last week on National Signing Day. Addazio honored all of the scholarships that previous head coach Frank Spaziani had offered, and most of the athletes remained committed to BC through the coaching change. It is a BC policy not to rescind scholarship offers during a coaching change, and The Heights commends Addazio for following through. It can be a restrictive policy, especially when a program is rebuilding, but it wouldn’t be fair to the recruits to take away those offers, especially this late in the recruiting process.

• BC Anticipates And Responds To Nemo Well

Staff, Administrators, And Students Stepped Up To Help When The Major Storm Hit Campus

As Boston College reopens today, The Heights would like to acknowledge the efforts of all those who worked to keep the students safe over the weekend. The Office of Emergency Preparedness worked well ahead of the storm, evacuating parking lots and coordinating with administrators and University offices to make sure things ran as smoothly as possible when winter storm Nemo hit. Facilities and grounds staff have been working nonstop to make sure that buildings are accessible and to clear roads and parking lots so that regular transportation can resume. A significant number of employees, from both Dining Services and Facilities, stayed on campus Friday night after the roads had closed to ensure that BC would not be short-staffed during the storm.

• UGBC Makes Major Step Toward Significant Change

With The New Constitution Passed, UGBC Must Now Capitalize On Organizational Improvements

Last night, the Undergraduate Government of Boston College (UGBC) passed the new constitution proposed last weekend, marking the start of a new era for BC’s representative student government. The changes that will be made before the start of the next school year are significant—the number of senators will be more than doubled, Cabinet will be modified into an Executive Council, and the GLBTQ Leadership Council (GLC) and AHANA Leadership Council (ALC) will be united beneath a single vice president of diversity and inclusion, among other changes.

• Black History Month Is A Learning Opportunity

Informative Events Throughout February Can Serve To Inspire And Educate The Boston College Community

Boston College Law School’s Dean Vincent Rougeau was recently named to On Being a Black Lawyer’s (OBABL) "Power 100 list," a compilation of the most influential black attorneys in the U. S. The Heights would like to recognize Rougeau for this honor, and note that within the short time that the dean has been at BC—he came here from Notre Dame in July of 2011—he has already been named to the Power 100 twice—this year, he was one of only 23 deans to make the list. OBABL, founded in 2008 as a resource for black lawyers in the U.S., published its list on Feb. 1 to coincide with the beginning of Black History Month (BHM).

• Athletics Should Reform Ticketing, Student Seating

After A Productive Start To His Directorship, Bates Must Now Consider Pressing Needs In Athletics

Athletic director Brad Bates hosted the second Town Hall for football season-ticket holders last Saturday before the men’s basketball game against Clemson. Bates took suggestions from the fanbase on what Boston College is doing right in terms of gameday experience and where it can improve. He also brought new head coach Steve Addazio to the event, a move that showed the accessibility and approachability of two of the athletic department’s most prominent figures.

• Gozik Has Shown Initiative In Just 7 Months As Director Of OIP

OIP's Events For Those Returning From Study Abroad Show An Attentiveness To Students' Needs

With the deadline for all study abroad programs falling on this Friday, Feb. 8, Boston College students have only a few short days left to decide whether or not to devote a summer, semester, or year of their time in a different country. For those students who have already returned from time abroad, however, the more immediate concern may be the search for a job or internship—and how to represent their time overseas during that process. Last Thursday’s event, “Back at BC: Marketing Your Study Abroad Experience,” sponsored by the McGillycuddy-Logue Center for Undergraduate Global Studies and put on by the Career Center and the Office of International Programs (OIP), may have allayed some of those concerns, and The Heights commends all involved for taking steps to support students after their return to the U.S. 

• New Constitution Would Mark Progress For UGBC

Despite Shortcomings, 'The Heights' Urges UGBC’s Voting Bodies To Pass The Proposed Constitution

Members of the UGBC, led by current executives from each of the four branches, have spent the past several months drafting a much-needed plan for a restructuring of the student government. If passed by the three voting bodies of UGBC next Sunday—the AHANA Leadership Council (ALC), the GLBTQ Leadership Council (GLC), and the Senate—the plan will make massive changes to the existing structure of UGBC.

• BC NESTS Promises To Be A Fruitful Program

The ESS Program Providing Nighttime Language Courses Teaches A Useful Skill In A Fun, Easy Way

In the third semester since its founding, Boston College Nighttime Education: Students Teaching Students (BC NESTS) has emerged as a successful program. One of three programs under Education for Students by Students (ESS), BC NESTS embodies the mission of the organization, offering a comfortable and flexible forum for students to take language classes taught by fellow students for no cost.

• Light The World Combines Several Worthwhile Goals

'The Heights' Commends The University For Seeking To Reconnect Alumni With Boston College

In 2008, Boston College began its Light the World campaign, the biggest fundraising campaign in the history of Jesuit, Catholic education. Now, in its sesquicentennial year, the University has reached the $1 billion mark of its $1.5 billion goal. This marks a great feat, especially considering the state of the economy when the campaign was begun. It is a testament to the commitment to BC, both on the part of the University and those who donated, that BC was able to generate such substantial support during a recession.

• Mobile Tour Provides Important Accessibility

Tour Of The Heights Caters To Tech-Savvy Potential Students And Those Who May Not Be Able To Visit

In the fall, the University announced the launch of the Tour of the Heights website and mobile phone application—a project aimed at increasing Boston College’s web presence and giving students the opportunity to see the campus, even from thousands of miles away. In light of yesterday’s Admitted Eagle Day and the upcoming college decision period for high school seniors, The Heights appreciates the University’s efforts to cater to a more tech-savvy generation of prospective students.

• Students Should Engage In BC's Sustainability Efforts

'The Heights' Applauds The UGBC And Environmental Student Groups’ Efforts To Achieve A Greener BC

Last semester, the policy caucus of UGBC released a sustainability press release informing the student body of its recent efforts to make Boston College more "green." They referenced their collaboration with other environmentally-focused student groups and applauded these organizations for the immense efforts they have dedicated already to the cause. The press release also encouraged all students to engage in the movement towards a greener BC.

• Admissions Is Wise To Add Supplemental Essay

The Benefits Of Adding An Extra Essay To The BC Application Far Outweigh The Potential Downsides

In 2012, Boston College received 34,051 applications for admission. In 2013, the University received about 25,000 applications.  At first, these numbers are frightening. Why did 10,000 fewer people want to attend BC in 2013 than in 2012? The answer is simple—starting in 2013, aspiring high school seniors were required to write one 400-word supplemental essay to the Common Application.

• In The Future, BC Should Focus On STEM

With Stokes As A Beacon For The Humanities, The Administration Must Now Look To The Sciences

Along with the beginning of the new semester came the much-anticipated opening of the impressive Stokes Hall, the new home to the A&S Honors, history, English, classical studies, philosophy, and theology departments, as well as the Office of First Year Experience and the Academic Advising Center. The Heights welcomes this beautiful addition to our campus for all the aesthetic pleasure it provides, and for the fundraising opportunities it presents: donors may contribute significant amounts in order to have a floor, a classroom, the Honors library, the lawn, the commons, or the function room named in their honor. 

1 comment

• Lambda Office Vandalism Is Inexcusable

'The Heights' Supports Lambda’s Decision To Make A Message Out Of The Wall, Not Cover It Up

Over the long weekend, the office of the Lambda Law Students Association, the GLBTQ student group at Boston College Law School, was vandalized. Quite possibly on the same day that the President of the United States delivered a speech that made explicit reference to the equal rights of GLBTQ citizens—symbolizing our country’s progress on that issue—someone was scrawling offensive words across the wall of the Lambda office. It is even more saddening to know that this occurred over Martin Luther King, Jr. weekend, a time set aside for the advancement of equal rights.

• NJSLC Is A Forum Where BC Must Impress

Faculty And Students Should Embrace BC's Hosting The National Jesuit Student Leadership Conference

In the summer of 2014, Boston College will host the National Jesuit Student Leadership Conference (NJSLC) for the first time. The Heights would like to commend the work of Maria Ireland, Kathryn Nowak, and Teddy Raddell, all A&S ’15, for their work on the successful 21-page bid that landed the conference for BC. The three students attended last year’s NJSLC at the College of the Holy Cross and spent the fall preparing an application that eventually beat out applications from among the other 28 Jesuit colleges and universities in the United States.

• Athletics Should Control Gap In Aid To Athletes

'The Heights' Urges BC To Ensure The Continuation Of Equitable Aid To Men And Women Athletes

According to a report filed by Boston College in compliance with the Equity In Athletics Disclosure Act, varsity male athletic participants received $1.7 million more in athletically-related student aid than female participants did during the 2011-12 season, despite there being only one more male than female participant. This gap results in male athletes receiving an average of $25,000 annually, while female athletes receive an average of $20,000 annually.

• ‘The Heights’ Looks To The Future With New Partner

Starting With This Issue, 'The Heights' Will Be Printed By Globe Newspaper Company, Inc.

Regular readers of The Heights may be wondering why our newspaper appears slightly different today than it did in December. Since our inception, the goal of The Heights has been to bring relevant and reliable information to our readers in the most thorough and accurate way possible. Throughout the more than 90-year history of the newspaper, various changes have been made to ensure the stability and growth of our publication as we move forward. In line with our goals for future success and development, The Heights is proud to announce a new publication partnership with Globe Newspaper Company, Inc., publishers of The Boston Globe.

• Ellen2BC Can Unite Students, Dispel Stigma

'The Heights' encourages students to support the campaign to bring Ellen DeGeneres to campus

The GLBTQ Leadership Council (GLC) has recently launched a campaign to bring notable stand-up comedian, television host, and GLBTQ activist Ellen DeGeneres to campus. They have garnered more than 1,500 signatures for their letter which, along with asking Ellen to visit Boston College, details the history of the GLC, the obstacles the GLBTQ community has faced as a result of being a part of a Jesuit, Catholic university, and the impact they believe a visit from Ellen could have on the BC community.

• Coaches Wrong To Forbid Athletes’ Use Of Twitter

Ccoaches should encourage athletes to generate support for BC teams via social media

This semester, Boston College has exploded onto the social media scene, with over 300 social media accounts representing various areas of life at BC, from Student Services, to Residential Life, to athletics. BC has more than 25,000 Twitter followers on their official account, and was recently ranked the ninth most social university by Mashable.com.

• Support our Teams Through Thick and Thin

Despite success of our athletic teams, strong Superfan presence at games will boost morale

The men’s basketball team’s home schedule is underway, as the season opener at Conte Forum was squeezed into last weekend’s jam-packed sports weekend. Boston College won 84-70, displaying its new squad with more experience than it had last season. The women’s basketball team kicks off its home schedule tonight against BYU under Erik Johnson, the new head coach, who brings an energy and excitement to the program. While both programs have struggled in recent years, they have the potential to become something special. The student section at these games has not been packed unless BC is facing a top-25 opponent. The Heights reminds students that they have an opportunity to change that.

• Strong Focus on Student Well-being Commendable

The Heights applauds the University Love Your Body Week and revamping sexual assault resources

In an email to students dated Nov. 6, 2012, the Dean of Students (DOS) Office introduced new resources concerning sexual violence, including a website for students affected by sexual assault, and a print publication called You are Not Alone. These innovations are the product of a year and a half long review by the Division of Student Affairs, the BCPD, and the Office of General Counsel.

• Leahy Email Infringes on Alum’s Freedom of Choice

By stating only their own opinion, Leahy and others overstep boundaries of liberal arts education

On Nov. 1, a letter was sent out via email to Boston College in-state alumni regarding Ballot Question 2. In the letter, University President Rev. William P. Leahy, S.J. and other educators at Catholic universities in Massachusetts put forth numerous arguments against the ballot measure, including a lack of regulation and the potential misuse of the powers it would confer. The question, which would allow physicians to prescribe a lethal drug enabling individuals to commit suicide, did not pass. Despite this, The Heights is uneasy with the letter and the extent to which its contents infringe upon freedom of choice and an unbiased education.

• Core necessary for a well-rounded experience

The Heights appreciates the core, but asks for a modernization of the Cultural Diversity requirement

The University recently announced that the Boston College academic core curriculum will undergo review by both an external consulting company, Continuum, and a committee of faculty and students over the coming semesters to assess its relevance and its effectiveness in establishing a broad base of academic experience.

• This Notre Dame weekend, be supportive

The Holy War continues this Saturday night—on primetime television. Boston College’s Nov. 10 game against No. 3 Notre Dame will kick off at 8 p.m. and will air nationally on ABC. The decision to start the game at this time was a result of a network decision, and it will be the first 8 p.m. kickoff since 2010.

• Team graduation rates signify program strengths

By placing a strong focus on academic achievement, BC successfull prepares athletes

It was announced last week that Boston College tied with Northwestern University for third in the nation in overall Graduation Success Rate (GSR) across all sports among schools competing in the Football Bowl Subdivision. BC’s 97 percent success rate only trailed Notre Dame (99) and Duke (98). The NCAA developed the GSR to measure academic success. Their score includes transfer students and midyear enrollees.
    The football team posted a GSR of 94, which tied for first in the ACC and third in the nation. Additionally, they ranked as one of only nine football programs to have a GSR above 90 percent. Seventeen other BC teams posted perfect GSR scores.

• Focus on student safety more so than punishment

The Heights asks the University to ease alcohol sanctions and to better judge individual offenses

The primary goal of a university is to educate its students—and that’s exactly what it should be. A close second to this goal, however, is to provide for and ensure the well-being of students. Without a healthy and safe student body, the task of education becomes impossible. The Heights understands and appreciates the motivations behind the University’s current policies with regard to alcohol—namely, to keep students safe—but there are nevertheless several ways in which the University could improve. 

1 comment

• With departure, comes thanks

In light of Patrick Rombalski's departure, The Heights acknowledges his many accomplishments

After four years at Boston College, Patrick Rombalski, vice president for student affairs, will be leaving the University over the coming two weeks. The Heights would like to take this time to thank Rombalski for his service to the University.

• Fleabag seating issues unnecessary and stifling

This past weekend, the Boston College comedy troupe My Mother’s Fleabag had their semiannual “Big Show” at the O’Connell House (OCH). Fleabag shows have long been a popular event on campus, filling the floor and balcony of the OCH.

• Mod Lot flooding begs for long-term solution

With water damage to student property, The Heights asks for examination of current parking system

Last Friday night, after a relatively brief but intense period of rain, parts of the Mod parking lot were under at least six inches of water, and damage was inflicted on some student vehicles. While this is not a common occurrence, it is also not unprecedented. The Heights believes that this is a problem that must be addressed by the administration immediately.
    While we understand that the flooding came as a bit of a surprise, and could not be directly avoided, The Heights strongly encourages the administration to develop a better strategy for responding to these types of occurrences in the future.

• This Halloween, dress with respect

As the double Hallo-weekend nears, The Heights would like to echo the sentiment behind UGBC’s Dress with Respect campaign and encourage students to consider the message they may be sending with certain Halloween costumes. The campaign, a collaboration between the AHANA Leadership Council, the GLBTQ Leadership Council, and the UGBC Cabinet is designed to steer students away from costumes that might offend their peers based on race, religion, or sexual orientation. Rather than telling students what not to wear, the ultimate goal of the campaign is to get students thinking about the potential repercussions of their costume decisions.

• Cheer passionately, but be mindful of the words you choose

In light of York's letter, The Heights asks students to re-examine cheering on a national stage

In a Letter to the Editor published in this issue, Boston College men’s hockey coach Jerry York addressed the issue of our school’s cheering section at hockey games. He commented on the fact that we as students, are a strong representation of the University. While he and the team fully appreciate the energy at Kelley Rink, York also challenged the student body to use its talents in the right way by avoiding the use of offensive and immature cheers. It is students’ responsibility to be proud of our athletic program. We must remember, however, to do so in an appropriate manner. Especially in terms of men’s hockey, BC sets the standard as the nation’s top team. This applies not only to our athletes on the ice, but also to the fans in the stands.

• Changes to ALC Boat Cruise commendable

The Heights praises ALC for increasing safety measures and working to attract a diverse audience

The Heights would like to commend the Programming Department of the AHANA Leadership Council (ALC), for taking the initiative to assess its annual ALC Boat Cruise and make the changes it deemed necessary. This event, which is already well-loved on campus, was a success again this Saturday.

• Recognize the cause behind Wounded Warrior

At this Saturday's football game against Maryland, acknowledge the needs of injured soldiers

On Saturday, the Boston College football team will show their support for the Wounded Warrior Project by wearing American flag-based jerseys along with ACC opponent Maryland. Under Armour, a major supporter of the Wounded Warrior Project, sponsors both teams. The Wounded Warrior Project’s purpose is “to raise awareness and enlist the public’s aid for the needs of injured service members.” The organization looks to re-engage this generation of wounded soldiers back in society, and provide them with the resources and programs to become well-adjusted in their daily lives.

• Growth of Allies result of exemplary leadership

The Heights applauds Allies for its recent programming and hopes for more collaboration with GLC

The Heights applauds the Boston College Allies for its successful Ally Week and for encouraging others to join its efforts against the bullying and harassment of GLBTQ students. We commend its strong presence on campus and effective publicity for the various events held throughout the week, including the “What’s It Like to Be an Ally” panel and the information table that was set up in McElroy. Many students signed the Ally Pledge, indicating the group’s ability to not only raise awareness about the struggles of GLBTQ students, but also to take steps to create a positive environment for people of all sexual orientations.

• $uccessful Start Program teaches financial literacy

The Heights urges students to attend the program's workshops and peer mentoring session

For many students not enrolled in the Carroll School of Management, budgeting and managing debt may seem like daunting tasks. Fortunately, the answer to one’s prayers is closer than one might think. That answer comes in the form of $uccessful Start, the sadly underutilized financial literacy program on campus. The goal of the $uccessful Start program is to prepare Boston College students to be financially literate for their lifetime through a series of workshops and a peer mentoring program. Each semester, $uccessful Start hosts workshops, led by BC employees, professors, and expert guest speakers, related to many aspects of personal financial management. With workshop topics ranging from budgeting to credit management to student loan repayment, $uccessful Start is an invaluable resource—and one that we think students should better employ.

• Register for the November elections

Even if students are dissatisfied with the presidential elections, they

The Heights urges all students to register to vote for the November 2012 elections. Although the deadline for Massachusetts was yesterday, Oct. 17, there are still a number of states that accept mail-in and in-person registration forms. Students who are residents of Connecticut, New Hampshire, Vermont, Nebraska, South Dakota, and Alabama still have the opportunity to become registered voters by Election Day.

• 'Creator God, Evolving Word' fits BC's mission

The talk on creationism and evolution shows commitment to our Jesuit and research-based roots

Boston College is both a Jesuit, Catholic University and a research institution. While the University maintains its adherence to Jesuit ideals, it also shows that it understands current research in various fields and allows students the opportunity to discuss them. The Heights therefore commends BC and its Lonergan Institute for doing just this by bringing the authors of Creator God, Evolving World, a book about how religion and evolutionary theory are not mutually exclusive, to campus on Monday for a lecture and discussion. The University stayed true to its Jesuit roots while also acknowledging the idea that evolution and creationism do not have to be two distinct theories, but are rather two theories that can support and possibly validate each other.

• BC 2 Boston excels with recent programming

The newly separate UGBC department demonstrates a proper use of funds and dynamic event planning

The Heights would like to compliment and congratulate BC 2 Boston for their successful programming through the first weeks of the 2012 fall semester. The UGBC department has provided students the opportunity to attend several events in the Boston area, including trips to the Museum of Science College Night, the Boston Red Sox vs. Tampa Rays game, and the musical production of War Horse. These events have been well-attended, many selling out within days, and show the great potential of future BC 2 Boston programming. We would like to commend the department for offering so many successful events within the first six weeks of the semester, and we encourage them to continue the good work.

• Students should utilize academic resources

Academic advisors and the upcoming Major/Minor fair provide both guidance and support for undergrads

As spring registration time quickly nears, The Heights urges students to take advantage of the academic resources available to them. Two in particular—the academic advisor service and the Major/Minor fair—will greatly benefit students if they choose to participate.

• To be heard, fill out Student Conduct survey

Given the OIR review of the Student Conduct System, The Heights urges students to provide criticism

The policies of ResLife are one of the most complained-about topics on campus. Any organization that is tasked with enforcing policies, especially ones that often conflict with popular activities of the student body, is bound to garner complaints from many students—especially those who have been subject to its sanctions. Students complain that policies and sanctions are unfair and not transparent enough, and they are often frustrated when their voices seem to go unheard.

• 'The Heights' welcomes Brad Bates to AD Helm

We encourage Bates to carefully evaluate our athletic program as a whole and develop relationships

A new era in Boston College athletics began on Tuesday, as Brad Bates was introduced as the University’s next athletic director (AD). The change is a positive one for BC, as Bates brings a wealth of experience to his new office in Conte Forum. Among his biggest accomplishments while he was the AD at Miami University in Ohio was achieving a graduation success rate of 89 percent, nine points higher than the national average. Bates also oversaw a successful hockey program there, as the RedHawks have reached the NCAA tournament every year since 2006.

• Be mindful of peers when expressing opinions

With of Fisher v. UT-Austin and NCOW, consider both sides of the argument

In light of National Coming Out Week (NCOW) and the current Fisher v. University of Texas at Austin case, The Heights reminds Boston College students to be mindful and considerate of their peers when expressing opinions on these events. NCOW and Affirmative Action are both controversial subjects. While we encourage students to discuss these events both on and off campus, we also remind them to be thoughtful when making polarizing statements, and to keep in mind their opinions could be offensive or hurtful to their fellow peers. We also encourage students to take the time to hear others’ opinions. Through conversation, BC students can gain an understanding of different perspectives and learn from their classmates, professors, and peers. 

• WRC forum focuses on ‘double glass ceiling’

Mosaic promotes discussion about education and the workplace between women of all ethnicities

The Heights commends the Women’s Resource Center (WRC) for founding the discussion group Mosaic. Mosaic, which is the brainchild of Keun Young Bae, A&S ’13, and Nicole LaniadoCSOM ’13, aims at supporting women of diverse backgrounds through an open-ended forum that meets twice a month.

• Political debates a vital tool for voter education

The Heights encourages students to watch debates to formulate an informed political opinion

Dealing with the many contradictory messages from presidential candidates, local candidates, and supporters or opponents of various propositions can be especially overwhelming for students. The Heights therefore encourages the Boston College community to do some research and educate themselves before voting.

• AD decision process needs to be accelerated

Delayed decision could make transition period for the new Athletic Director stressful

Gene DeFilippo announced his retirement as Athletic Director on Aug. 17. Forty-eight days later, his successor has yet to be named, a sign that is likely not positive for Boston College. DeFilippo stated that his last day would be Sept. 30, and after that, John Kane, senior associate athletic director, would take over as interim AD.

• Quonset Hut renovations much needed on Newton

Improvements provide quality resources to Newtonites that are on par with those on Main Campus

The Quonset Hut, the exercise facility on Newton Campus, recently underwent a renovation that included a new basketball court, space for fitness classes, and upgraded exercise and weight machines. The Heights would like to commend Campus Recreation for initiating and carrying out such a project.

• Boston Pops and Connick light up Conte

Annual fundraiser was not only an artistic feat but an event that propelled the BC community forward

On Friday evening, parents and students flocked to Conte Forum to witness a masterful performance by the Boston Pops, accompanied by multi-talented vocalist and Broadway legend Harry ConnickJr.

• Courage shown at BC Ignites commendable

The Heights congratulates BC Ignites participants and urges students to reflect on their experience

Monday’s BC Ignites event on O’Neill Plaza pushed racism at Boston College to the forefront of the minds of a student body that has long seemed to ignore or shy away from the topic. The Heights commends Conor Sullivan for having the courage and initiative to address what he rightly deemed to be a detrimental lack in the BC community by creating this forum. We would also like to congratulate and thank the speakers for their boldness. They each had the bravery to voice their opinions, which many others likely share, and in doing so opened the doors for productive discussions revolving around racism at BC. We encourage students to continue having these discussions.

• TV Chef Series benefits dining and social options

The Heights encourages students to take part in the revolutionary BCDS program and provide feedback

The Heights applauds Boston College Dining Services (BCDS) for their innovative new TV Chef Series. This creative program will not only open up the Faculty Dining Room in McElroy Hall to greater access by undergraduates, but will also give students more variety in dining options. In light of the recent modifications to the dining halls—most notably, the change in payment for Hillside and the arrival of the mini marts—the fact that BCDS is offering students a unique dining experience that can be paid for using the mandatory meal plan is commendable. 

• At DeFilippo's last game, show respect

This Saturday, acknowledge the AD's accomplishments rather than creating a negative atmosphere

This weekend’s football game against Clemson will be Athletic Director Gene DeFilippo’s last, since he officially retires on Sept. 30. Although there is no official ceremony, The Heights would like to take the time to ask students to be respectful about his departure.
    In light of recent disappointing performances, some may take Saturday as the final day to voice their frustrations. They may heckle, boo, and insult, naming the crumbling football program as justification.

• Career Center must diversify Career Fair

For students whose career goals are not addressed, Career Center should propose alternatives

The Boston College Career Fair was held last Thursday in Conte Forum with over 100 companies in attendance. Many BC students printed out their resumes, practiced their elevator speeches, and donned their best suit or pencil skirt. Some students, however, did not bother to attend, despite constant news flashes about high unemployment rates and low job availability. There seemed to be a consensus among certain facets of the BC student body that the Career Fair is useful solely to CSOM students, despite the Career Center’s insistence that all BC students and all majors are welcome.

• Revamped Pub Series a success for UGBC

On Thursday evening, a swarm of seniors descended upon the Rat for the highly-anticipated “Welcome Back Eagles” Pub Series. Lines were short, spirits were high, and the event went off without a hitch.

• Be a responsible citizen in local community

Students living both on and off campus are reminded to respect Allston-Brighton neighbors

As students are finally getting settled into their new off-campus digs, The Heights would like to ask those students to reflect on what it means to be a respectful Boston College citizen in the local community. Living off campus is an exciting new venture for most, one that is accompanied by unrivaled freedom, but also newfound responsibility.

• Legion package a success for athletics

Many Boston College students who looked to buy season tickets for men’s hockey over the past month have been disappointed to find out that there are none left. Those tickets were gone in August, as the Athletic Department sold out the section that holds just over 2,000 students at Conte Forum. The sellout was due in large part to the new Legion package, which combined season tickets for football, men’s hockey, and men’s basketball at a discounted price. Athletics was able to sell around 1,200 of those packages by August before they sold out.

• Examining Lupe Fiasco: beyond the music

UGBC should be commended from choice of an intellectually challenging performer

In recent years, UGBC has explained its concert headliner selection as one in which artists’  are reviewed for appropriate lyrical content, which has led to performances by generally clean acts, like J. Cole, Wale, and Third Eye Blind. With its selection of Chicago rapper Lupe Fiasco, UGBC has finally found an act that suitably combines the appropriate and the intellectually stimulating.

• Health Coaches provide tailored health plan

The Heights urges students to try OHP's new Health Coach initiative to address unhealthy aspects

The Heights would like to commend the Office of Health Promotion (OHP) on their expanded Health Coach program. The initiative, which was started last year, trains students to lead individual and group discussions on a variety of health issues, as well as create tailored health plans.

• Caucus a welcome step toward long-term change

The Heights asks potential UGBC presidential candidates to retain the strong ideas of former admins

The Heights commends the effort of the UGBC in overseeing the formation of a UGBC Policy Caucus. We believe the Policy Caucus is a fantastic idea that will ensure that ideas brought in every year by new administrations will not be neglected. The rapid but necessary turnover of officers within the student government often leaves long-term plans, such as projects involving changes within BC Dining, only partially accomplished before the next administration comes in and begins implementing its own ideas.

• Clarification needed on academic integrity

Professors should examine collaboration rules and more plainly articulate their guidelines

In light of the recent cheating scandal at Harvard, The Heights would like to take this opportunity to encourage both students and faculty at Boston College to ensure that they understand the many facets of scholastic honesty. Plagiarizing papers or copying the work of others during tests are blatant violations of academic integrity—and therefore both easy to catch and to avoid.

• Fundamentals behind 'Senior Pass' strong

Despite their policy violation, The Heights encourages Senior Pass visionaries to continue

Earlier this year, seniors Anthony Russo, A&S ’13, and Michael NardellaCSOM ’13, came up with the idea of  the “BC Senior Pass”—a pass for the class of 2013 that would serve as an all-inclusive ticket to events throughout the year, such as a booze cruise, a pub crawl, and a “Top of the Hub” event. This program was immediately popular with seniors, selling over 300 tickets—with a goal of 600—in a short period of time. Unfortunately, the Senior Pass has been cancelled due to a policy violation involving the use of Boston College’s name to market the initiative. Now, Russo and Nardella must refund all tickets sold under the name “BC Senior Pass.” They do, however have the option of re-booting the program under a different name.

• Support group for addicts fills campus void

The Heights commends those brave enough to come forward and encourages peer support

This fall, Boston College’s Office of Health Promotion and the Alcohol and Drug Education (ADE) Program are starting a support group for students on campus who are in recovery from drug and alcohol addictions. Like many schools nationwide, BC is launching this initiative with hopes of creating a supportive and welcoming environment for students who are in recovery or have a desire to reach out to someone. 

• UGBC transparency sets encouraging precedent

The Heights applauds UGBC for releasing its budget, and urges students to examine its allocation

Students at Boston College have long asked that the UGBC become more transparent in its decision-making processes. This year, the UGBC Senate has taken a significant step in the right direction by releasing its budget to The Heights for publication. The Heights appreciates the Senate’s willingness to follow through on its promise and applauds it for being honest and open to criticism.

• Celebrate BC's 150th starting this weekend at Fenway

Students are reminded to register online prior to Saturday's kick-off event

The Sesquicentennial Celebration, marking Boston College’s 150th year, will officially begin with a mass at Fenway Park this coming Saturday, Sept. 15. Open to all members of the BC community—students, faculty, staff, alumni, parents, and their families—the mass will be concelebrated by members of the Jesuit community and alumni priests. It will be followed by a reception and activities in the ballpark.

• Paul Klee showcase a landmark display for BC

The Heights encourages students to take advantage of the McMullen Musuem's prestigious exhibit

On Sunday, Sept. 1, Boston College’s McMullen Museum held the opening reception for the exhibition titled Paul Klee—Philosophical Vision: From Nature to Art.

• Unearthing the past may endanger peace process

In light of the appealment of the Belfast Project case, The Heights supports Boston College’s stance

Today, oral arguments will begin at the United States Court of Appeals in Boston in the latest legal case surrounding the Belfast Project, BC’s oral history project regarding the Troubles in Northern Ireland.
    1 comment

• Attendence is the first step to involvement

New or old, students should seek out interests at Friday's Student Involvement Fair

The annual Student Involvement Fair will be held this Friday on Linden Lane, and The Heights encourages each and every student, especially freshmen, to attend.

• AD leaves a legacy and unanswered questions

The sudden retirement of DeFilippo reminds us of his great career, but his media hesitancy taint

On Aug. 17, Boston College Athletics Director Gene DeFilippo announced that he is stepping down after 15 years at the helm of Eagles athletics, citing his recent diagnosis of treatable skin cancer. The Heights would like to thank DeFilippo for his years of service and dedication.    

• A call for mental health education

University should work to organize programs shedding light on mental illness

This past Saturday, Boston University hosted “Stride Against Stigma,” an event held to raise awareness for depression and mental disorders. Organized by Brandeis student Leah Lurye and sponsored by the Families for Depression Awareness, “Stride Against Stigma” had each team of participants take 2 million steps to aid the cause.

• New England Classic: more than a sandwich

The self-funded satirical publications plays a vital role on campus, which students should support

Unlike traditional news sources, satirical publications bring a level of clarity and truth to issues that straight news often fails to deliver. Particularly on college campuses, where creativity, intelligence, and freewheeling enthusiasm is often met with bureaucracy, stuffiness, and arrogance, satire is an important vehicle for information.

• Students with disabilities need support

At the conclusion of our disabilities series, The Heights asks the campus to consider challenges

Fifty years ago, students with mental and physical handicaps had difficulties succeeding in primary schools, much less a college environment. It is therefore worth commending the many Boston College students who have overcome both the stigmas and challenges surrounding such disabilities in order to excel in academic and social settings.

• Arts Festival broadcasts BC's creative talent

The three day event shines light on underexposed students and groups, supporting the on-campus arts

Although the tents are down, it’s impossible to deny the impact of the Arts Festival on the Boston College community this weekend. Running from Thursday to Saturday, the celebration of all things cultural drew massive crowds to events held all over campus. Dance showcases and a cappella performances alike kept the O’Neill Plaza Main Tent at full, standing room only capacity for much of the weekend, a surprising and extremely commendable feat considering the massive amounts of work students are facing with impending final exams.

• Kuechly's selection cements a golden career

The success and character of the former BC linebacker serves as an example for all student athletes

The Heights would like to extend congratulations to former Boston College football player Luke Kuechly, who was selected by the Carolina Panthers as the ninth overall pick in Thursday’s NFL Draft, making him the highest drafted linebacker in the program’s history

• Meal plan changes, good or bad, are necessary

Dining Services' soon to be implemented changes may be unpopular, but were done with students mind

Next fall, Boston College Dining Services will be revamping the mandatory residential dining program in an effort to increase overall revenue and to address the everyday challenges of rising food prices and increasing operating costs. To do so, the current A La Carte system will be modified, adding the three new mini marts locations across campus, but also removing Hillside Cafe from the list of locations that accept mandatory residential plan funds.

1 comment

• GLC Leadership must never forget their goals

With a new president and vice president, GLC must continue expansion despite resistance

The Heights would like to congratulate Joshua Tingley, A&S ’13, and Erica Hendricks, A&S ’14, on being elected president and vice president of the GLBTQ Leadership Council (GLC), respectively. Both students have strong credentials, given Tingley’s experience serving as vice president of GLC for the past last year and Hendricks’ background in event planning and ties to the AHANA Leadership Council (ALC).

GLC is a necessary and beneficial group on campus, but will always face roadblocks due to the Catholic nature of our institution. The Heights is confident that Tingley and Hendricks are prepared for this ongoing fight, and we remind them not to let the hesitancies of the administration affect their overall goals. With plans to expand Queer Peers and their freshman mentoring program, to raise transgender awareness (something that is lacking on our campus), and to continue the group’s integration into UGBC, it is imperative that they strive to create a more united Boston College.

In addition, we ask Tingley and Hendricks to constantly strive for the goals outlined in GLC’s document, “Reaching New Heights.” Every day, we hear more nationwide stories about GLBTQ students being bullied, abused, and targeted. Although there has been no major public occurrence of such hate on our campus, that does not mean hate crimes don’t occur. “Reaching New Heights,” which advocates for safe spaces for GLBTQ students and continued education, will help diminish this risk and keep our campus hate-free.

The Heights believes that Tingley and Hendricks are poised to take on the roles and responsibilities of president and vice president. We wish them luck in their tenure and hope they can create long-lasting change on our campus.

• O'Neill green space fills outdoor void

The University's decision to turn O'Neill Plaza into a lawn beautifies campus

The Heights would like to commend the University on its plans to transform O’Neill Plaza into a much-needed green space on campus. The classes after 2014 were never able to fully enjoy and utilize the Dustbowl, and have felt the absence of green space on this campus. The plans, which will replace much of the concrete on O’Neill Plaza with grass and trees, will allow these students to get a feel for the atmosphere that was lost with the demolition of the Dustbowl.

• Emergency response class prepares students

C-CERT helps the BC community learn how to respond safely to a multitude of disasters, helping all

Last weekend, the Boston College Office of Emergency Management sponsored a free Campus-Community Emergency Response Team (C-CERT) class for students interested in learning how to respond to potential emergencies on campus. The class, held on Saturday and Sunday, taught students basic first aid, light search and rescue, fire suppression, and a variety of other skills that would be necessary in the event of a disaster on campus. Students participated in crisis simulations that gave them experience with the efficient decision making and quick response necessary during disasters, such as school shootings, explosions, and severe weather.

• To end discontentment, get involved

For the upcoming school year, UGBC received a slight drop in applications for positions across all departments. Although many may view this as a seemingly small occurrence, The Heights would like to remind students how urgent it is to be involved in our student government.

• Spring Concert success bodes well for future

Efforts on behalf of students and UGBC prove that large-scale concerts are a long-term possibility

After last Friday’s successful Spring Concert, The Heights would like to commend both the student body for conducting itself well, and the UGBC for setting up a system that promises to continue to bring quality concerts to Boston College in the future.

• Research the facts before you post online

Ensure the accuracy of reported events before taking to the web and reporting them as fact

Last weekend, racially charged assaults allegedly occurred over consecutive nights on Boston College’s campus. More than three days after the assaults took place, Facebook and Twitter exploded with students sharing their opinions on the alleged incident, the police and administration response, and what the situation said about issues of race on our campus. Many students claimed that the BCPD was withholding information about the alleged assault to protect the University’s reputation, while others were critical of the University’s perceived slow response to notify the student body. Students with no connection to the event or the victim and no firsthand knowledge of the events spread Facebook statuses about the incident, while others criticized the BCPD on their Facebook page.

• Free admission for students fosters culture

The office of VPSA's decision to provide tickets to Boston establishments will improve minds

The office of the Vice President for Student Affairs (VPSA) has announced that Boston College students will now be able to obtain tickets for the New England Aquarium and the Institute for Contemporary Art for free. These partnerships, along with similar ones at the Museum of Fine Arts and the Museum of Science, are all part of a larger effort to get BC students into Boston.

• Recognize GLBTQ's Day of Silence April 20th

Support BC's GLBTQ community by choosing to acknowledge silence this Friday

Friday, April 20, is the Day of Silence, an annual event in which students across the country take a pledge of silence in order to raise awareness for the GLBTQ community.

• Sexual abuse cover-up calls for Board expulsion

The Heights urges the University to take action immediately to uphold reputation

A recent Globe article has revealed that Rev. Bradley M. SchaefferS.J., current member of Boston College’s Board of Trustees, allegedly failed to investigate or contact the police after receiving complaints regarding then-popular Rev. Donald J. McGuire’s behavior with young boys. Instead, Schaeffer, leader of the Jesuits in the Chicago area during the early ’90s, sent McGuire to treatment for a sexual disorder—treatment he later acknowledged did not go well. He reportedly knew about McGuire’s repeated abuse for over 30 years.

• National Championship is a victory for all

The men's hockey squad should be recognized for their high level of excellence this season

The Heights would like to congratulate the Boston College men’s hockey team for winning the 2012 National Championship. This accomplishment is a testament to a whole season of hard work and determination. Head coach Jerry York has created a winning atmosphere at Kelley Rink, and his efforts have not gone unnoticed.

• This Marathon Monday, respect tradition

While celebrating, realize that actions could have an impact on the day itself

This Monday, Boston College celebrates its most famed and spirited tradition: Patriots’ Day. A holiday that every BC student and alumnus discusses with the zestiest passion, Marathon Monday has long been the beloved highlight of each school year.

• Investigation may be a step in the right direction

Request by BCAAUP should be acknowledged by the University in hopes of maintaining our reputation

In light of the ongoing controversy relating to the Belfast Project, the Boston College chapter of the American Association for University Professors (BCAAUP) has started a petition asking for the formation of a third party committee to investigate the research methods and practices of the Belfast Project. The BCAAUP has stated their concern that the University’s reputation could be harmed as a result of the project’s international legal implications, and their hope is that a third party review of the project’s practices would help bring out more facts related to the case.

• Student effort shines in Rock the Vote

The week-long campaign shows effort on behalf of the student body to get others involved in politics

Last week, UGBC, along with Americans for Informed Democracy, the AHANA Leadership Council (ALC), No Labels, BC College Democrats, and College Republicans, sponsored Rock the Vote, a week-long campaign with the goal of increasing interest in politics and voter registration. The campaign featured a political debate, political club fair, and voter registration, both in the Quad and in residence halls via door-to-door dorm walks.

• Event overcrowding begs for streamlined calendar

With frequent overscheduling of student programming, The Heights proposes a universal calendar

In light of the multitude of events occurring over this past weekend at Boston College, The Heights would like to address the issue of over-scheduling of events, as well as the lack of a cohesive events calendar for student groups. Often, there are weekends where multiple events are scheduled for the same day, followed by weekends with only a few scattered events. Many factors affect event planning. However, it seems that there is a lack of communication between student groups about the process.

• Looking forward to BC's sesquicentenial

In honor of BC's 150th anniversary, take time to attend University-sponsored events

Yesterday, Boston College announced plans for its sesquicentennial anniversary. Events include the Mass of the Holy Spirit at Fenway Park, a speaker series, a Founders Day celebration, and an academic symposium.

• Campus School reminds us of selfless service

The Heights asks students to participate in Campus School awareness week to honor the institution

This week, the Boston College community is celebrating Campus School Awareness Week. The Campus School Volunteers of Boston College (CSVBC) have planned and promoted a number of events throughout the week, raising awareness for the school.
     On Monday, CSVBC held a panel on “the current state of special education programs in the U.S.” Guests had an opportunity to listen to Program Director Don Ricciato, teacher Michael Harrington, and occupational therapist Karen Rocco, and to learn more about the Campus School and its community.

• Tune into message of C.A.R.E week

C.A.R.E week's goal to raise awareness is one the campus should embrace

Concerned About Rape Education (C.A.R.E.) Week, sponsored by the Women’s Resource Center (WRC), begins today. In light of the various controversies regarding sexually offensive comments and actions on campus recently, The Heights would like to urge all students to attend at least one event on the C.A.R.E. Week itinerary.

• Spring Awakening a triumph for BC theatre

The controversial show was done tastefully and was met with enthusiasm by BC community

It isn’t often that a musical like Spring Awakening graces the stages of Boston College, but the rock musical did so this past weekend, selling out every performance a week before opening night. 

• Shea's questioning should not be criticized

'The Heights' supports Fr. Shea's search for a theological explanation

Rev. John Shea, OSA, an adjunct professor at the School of Theology and Ministry, recently wrote an open letter to Cardinal Sean Patrick O’Malley, Archbishop of Boston, published in The Heights on Mar. 19, 2012, concerning the ordination of women in the Catholic Church.

• Tuition increase reflects harmful national trend

BC's 3.6 percent increase in tuition, similar to other universities, has detrimental consequences

Boston College recently announced a 3.6 percent increase in tuition for the 2012-2013 academic year, citing increases in University expenditures and a committal to need-blind and full demonstrated need financial aid.

• KONY2012 reminds us to examine causes

The controversy over the popular Invisible Children campaign cautions education before donation

Over spring break, Invisible Children launched the KONY2012 social media campaign to raise awareness of the atrocities committed in certain regions of Africa by a group called the Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA), headed by Joseph Kony. Invisible Children released a 30-minute video, which currently has almost 80 million views on YouTube, urging young Americans to put pressure on their government to put more effort into locating and arresting Kony by the end of the year.

• Students should come forward in search efforts

In light of Franco Garcia’s disappearance, we urge BC students to share all information and resource

Updating statuses, tweeting, and volunteering to hang fliers on campus and throughout the surrounding area are all things BC students should continue to do in the days and weeks following his disappearance.

• GLC Document Outlines Positive Steps for BC

The Heights supports GLC's goals for community and encourages the University to follow suit

The GLBTQ Leadership Council (GLC) has long fought for more recognition on campus, whether it comes from the student body, the UGBC, or the University's administration.  Successes have come in many areas. The GLC is now an equal part of the UGBC, along with Cabinet, Senate, and the AHANA Leadership Council. It holds an annual ball for students, and has begun a Queer Peers program. Furthermore, bothResLife and Health Services have provided training to employees regarding situations involving GLBTQ students.

• "Double Candidacies" Must Be Examined

Running for two positions creates an advantage, and the Elections Committee should address this

In a Feb. 20 letter to the editor, newly-elected UGBC senator Tim Jablonski, A&S '13,  commented on the Elections Committee's allowing a presidential candidate to simultaneously run for a Senate position, saying, "It simply isn't fair to the other students running for Senate."