Show Respect, Root for the Home Team

Published: Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Even though I have been a sophomore for an entire weekend, I do not think of myself as that different from the freshman.  I know that there was a time when I carried a tray at Mac or climbed on a bus that was headed to Cleveland Circle not Newton.  However, on Sept. 5, I saw something I have never seen before, a Notre Dame T-shirt being worn proudly inside Mac.  Even worse, it was a Notre Dame football shirt and it was green and it was hideous. 

As I walked back to my College Road dorm feeling as if my Boston College soul had taken a sucker punch, I passed not one but two Duke Basketball shirts.  After a few hours of picking up my broken BC heart I was able to sit down and write this letter to the editor.  I understand that Boston College is not an athletics powerhouse.  I understand many students come from across the country and carry their local sports allegiances with them to Boston College.  And I understand that BC is at a unique level of academic excellence, which leads many disappointed Irish and Blue Devils to the Heights every fall.  However, freshman (or anyone else supporting Notre Dame or Duke) you are part of the BC community. 

Hostile and offensive school spirit is disgusting but a community united behind its teams and its school is stronger than one divided.  Take off the shirts supporting rival schools' athletic programs (burn them), throw on a Superfan shirt, and immerse yourself in the BCcommunity.

2 comments