Student effort shines in Rock the Vote

The week-long campaign shows effort on behalf of the student body to get others involved in politics

Published: Sunday, April 1, 2012

Last week, UGBC, along with Americans for Informed Democracy, the AHANA Leadership Council (ALC), No Labels, BC College Democrats, and College Republicans, sponsored Rock the Vote, a week-long campaign with the goal of increasing interest in politics and voter registration. The campaign featured a political debate, political club fair, and voter registration, both in the Quad and in residence halls via door-to-door dorm walks. 

The Heights would like to commend all those involved with Rock the Vote. We have often criticized the student body for being apathetic toward politics, and this is a shining example of BC students taking initiative to get themselves and others involved in the political arena. Rock the Vote organizers sponsored numerous events, publicized with flyers on campus and also via e-mail. Even more commendable is the fact that they reached out to the facet of the student body that would not normally attend these programs by going door-to door to register voters. This overall process took a lot of hard work, effort, and planning, and the organizers of Rock the Vote truly rose to the challenge.

We would also like to recognize the efforts of the new RSO, No Labels. One of three college chapters of a national organization, No Labels seeks to end party divisions and bipartisan politics. Although only in existence since February, the group has already made a name for itself with the student body. We look forward to seeing what this group will and can do in the future.