Students should utilize academic resources

Academic advisors and the upcoming Major/Minor fair provide both guidance and support for undergrads

Published: Sunday, October 14, 2012

As spring registration time quickly nears, The Heights urges students to take advantage of the academic resources available to them. Two in particular—the academic advisor service and the Major/Minor fair—will greatly benefit students if they choose to participate.

Often, students see faculty advisors simply as the people they need to meet with to receive their registration access codes, and they fail to initiate helpful conversations. We would like to remind students that the academic advising process is truly what they make of it. One’s advisor is an expert in his or her major and could provide insightful and necessary advice for students’ individual academic paths. The academic world at Boston College can be tough to navigate, and advisors should be sought out for help.

In addition, we hope undecided students will attend the Major/Minor Fair this Tuesday in the Higgins Hall atrium from 4 to 6:30 p.m. Hosted by UGBC and the Academic Advising Center as part of Academic Advising Awareness Week, the fair is one of the best ways for students to educate themselves on the courses of study offered at BC. Undergrads are able to explore the possibilities of a new major in an informed setting, and possibly even discover a less-known minor such as Psychoanalytic Studies or Faith, Peace, and Justice. Whatever questions  students have, the Academic Advising Center is there to help.

The Heights hopes that those who may feel lost in the academic whirl of college life seriously consider accessing these resources to enhance their college experience.