Sullivan Successfully Developed HR Over Tenure

BC Should Ensure Smooth Transition, Draw On His Experience When Finding A Replacement

Published: Thursday, January 16, 2014

Updated: Thursday, January 16, 2014 02:01

After years of service to the University, Leo Sullivan, vice president of human resources, announced that he will step down from his position to undertake new responsibilities as senior advisor to University President Rev. William P. Leahy, S.J.

Sullivan’s long-standing dedication to improving employee relations and his continual participation in developing administrative policies throughout the course of multiple University presidents is truly remarkable, and he should be recognized for these efforts.

Additionally, Sullivan’s immense contribution toward student-faculty relations and his efforts to combat rising tuition costs, promote campus-wide cost-cutting measures, and improve the overall quality of student life at BC are all worthy of note and commendation.

After expanding the human resources staff from two to more than 50 members who now serve over 3,400 employees, Sullivan not only enlarged the scale of the department but also enhanced its effectiveness for BC’s personnel.

Although the transition leaves a position now marked with high expectations to be filled, it allows BC to continue to consult Sullivan on all matters pertinent to the University’s development.

When conducting its search for a new vice president, the administration should use Sullivan as a resource for guidance and consider the precedents he set during his tenure at BC.