Paul Klee showcase a landmark display for BC

The Heights encourages students to take advantage of the McMullen Musuem's prestigious exhibit

Published: Sunday, September 9, 2012

On Sunday, Sept. 1, Boston College’s McMullen Museum held the opening reception for the exhibition titled Paul Klee—Philosophical Vision: From Nature to Art.

Set to run until December 9, the exhibit is a huge get for the small but celebrated museum. Klee’s work hangs in the most prestigious art museums around the world, and London’s Tate Modern will play home to the German painter’s largest exhibition in the country in over a decade. At the moment, the McMullen Museum displays the most comprehensive Klee showcase in the country, a feat that BC should be honored to achieve.

Klee’s work is fascinatingly complex and The Heights commends the McMullen Museum for taking a risk in featuring the thought-provoking artist as part of its fall collection. While last year’s Rural Ireland exhibit did more to pay homage to a country’s history than its art, From Nature to Art launches the McMullen into the forefront of cultural institutions in the northeast. It’s sure to draw crowds from beyond the surrounding area, including esteemed art scholars as part of the upcoming International Klee Conference (Oct. 16-19).

We encourage students to take advantage of the museum’s exhibition as the semester progresses. It offers a chance to escape to another time and place for free, and will certainly broaden all visitors’ cultural horizons. Download the free audio tour from the museum’s website, set aside an hour to stroll the museum, and make your semester a more artistically informed one.