Player Charged With Invasion Of Privacy

Jaryd Rudolph Will Attend Hearing In April

Published: Thursday, March 22, 2012

Jaryd Rudolph, a member of the Boston College football team and A&S ’14, has been charged with allegedly using his cell phone to audio-record a consensual sexual encounter between a female graduate student and his roommate in February.

Rudolph will appear for a court hearing in April regarding the allegations. He is currently on University probation, and has been suspended from the football team.

“Due to legal and privacy issues, BC Athletics has no comment on the situation other than to confirm Jaryd has been suspended from the football team,” said Chris Cameron, associate director of athletics, in an e-mail.

The Boston Globe has reported that Rudolph shared the recording with at least one teammate. When the female student found out about the recording, she filed a complaint with the BCPD. After a closed-door hearing, a clerk magistrate in Brighton District Court ruled that “there was sufficient evidence to warrant a criminal charge,” according to the Globe.

“The student was issued a summary suspension at the time of the allegation and remains on University probation,” said University Spokesman Jack Dunn. “He was also suspended from the football team, and must undergo educational training and counseling.”

Rudolph was arraigned yesterday on one count of unlawful secret recording, to which he pleaded not guilty. He was released on his own recognizance, and ordered to stay away from the female student.

“She had no knowledge that these recordings were being made. She didn’t give her consent to them being made, and she certainly didn’t give her consent to them being distributed,” Mitchell Garabedian, the female student’s attorney, told WBZ-TV. “She found out about it by people making fun of her while she was working.”

Rudolph’s lawyer, John Seed, told WBZ-TV that Rudolph “denies the allegation and looks forward to all the facts coming out through the criminal process.”

Rudolph, a native of Plympton, Mass., is a defensive tackle on the football team, and played in seven games last season.