Pub Series Back For The Fall With A New Look And Big Plans

Published: Sunday, September 23, 2012

pub

Kylie Montero / Heights Staff

Last Thursday night, Sept. 20, UGBC hosted 21-plus students in the Rat for the first event in the year-long Pub Series. With the theme “Welcome Back Eagles,” the makeshift watering hole served a wide selection of foreign and domestic beers, wine, and non-alcoholic beverages, in addition to All-American food like sliders and pigs in a blanket.

Mallory Horwitz, director of the Pub Series in UGBC and LSOE ’13, hoped that with more extensive promotion and the promise of free food, students would flock to Lyons. She noted that in years past the event hasn’t attracted crowds, but was optimistic on the eve of the event, with more than 600 people having RSVP’d “Going” on Facebook.

Horwitz cited the awkward timing, 7 p.m., the Career Fair, and the Middle Campus location as possible factors for a low attendance. In spite of this, record numbers showed up Thursday night. “I think it was the biggest Pub Night yet,” Horwitz said after the event. “I was kind of expecting a big turnout but this really exceeded expectations.”

At the event, Boston College saw a glimpse of the Rat as it may have looked during its glory days as a de facto pub on campus. The Rat, short for Rathskeller, a German word for a bar or restaurant in the cellar of a municipal building, is officially named Welch Dining Hall and opened in 1951 as BC’s first sit-down dining area. Thursday night Pub Nights in the Lyons basement were once more frequent, giving the room its current nickname. Now, the dining hall is known for its great location for a grab-and-go lunch between classes. Students in attendance on Thursday reacted positively to the transformed space. “People walked in and were like ‘Wow, this is the Rat?!’” Horwitz said of the setup.

The door ran smoothly—many students had validated their IDs in Student Services prior to the evening and so wait time was minimal. Once inside, however, lines for the two bar stations exceeded 10 minutes. Horwitz hopes for additional staff at future events, stating of the busy bartenders, “I know they were really overwhelmed. It would’ve been great if we had a few more people.”

Another concern was that the appetizers ran out around 8:30 p.m., but Horwitz cited a limited budget as the cause. “Get here early if you want food,” suggested Siri Peterson, A&S ’13.

Students seemed to be enjoying themselves, clustered around the cocktail tables and mingling among friends, but some said that the music was ill-fit for the environment. “It’s not very pub-like,” said Claire Smith, A&S ’13, of the mostly hip-hop tracks. In spite of this, students were eager to socialize over a beer on campus, some right from the Career Fair clad in business casual, a presence that foreshadowed post-graduate life.

Students can expect Horwitz, her co-director Joana Bueno, and the UGBC to be committed to hosting more Pub Nights, some with seasonal themes and other possible change-ups. The director divulged that they are discussing possibly finding a new venue on Lower Campus or even sponsoring an event at an off-campus location in Boston.