Radio Singles

Published: Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Bruno Mars "Young Girls"

Showcasing both Mars’s crooning vocals and the dynamic production style that characterizes his releases, “Young Girls” finds Mars flourishing. In this sweeping track, percussion and strings build as Mars laments over those “bright eyed honeys” that “will be the death” of him. It’s a solid follow up to “Locked Out of Heaven,” and an enticing preview of what to expect from his upcoming record.

Nicki Minaj "Freedom"

Consistently audacious, Nicki Minaj is resolute on her most recent release. She reflects on her career as a female rapper and relates herself to the symbol of martyrdom when she sings, “They’ll never thank me for opening doors / But they ain’t even thank Jesus when he died on the cross.” Neither hook-laden nor unforgettable, it lingers in between, with an ambient chorus and a bold message.

Red Hot Chili Peppers "The Sunset Sleeps/Hometown Gypsies

The Red Hot Chili Peppers are releasing a series of previously unavailable songs in nine pairs, available both digitally and on vinyl, from the extra, unused material from I’m With You. These singles are the fourth installment in the set. With languid, sliding vocals, the former is a mellow, acoustic rocker, which contrasts well with the latter—a galloping, bass-bouncing track that is nearly, but not quite, country.