RHA Gives Local Children A Treat

Published: Sunday, October 28, 2012

On Friday, the Residence Hall Association (RHA) hosted Haunted Heights, a program that brought 100 children from a local elementary school to the Boston College campus for a day full of Halloween fun.

The idea behind the program was to give children that might live in dangerous areas or might not have the ability to experience Halloween in its fullest—with costumes, candy, and trick-or-treating—a day of activity and fun.

In the morning, a bus arrived at St. Ignatius, full of eager second and third graders from the Gardner Pilot Academy in Boston, dressed as everything from Snow White to aliens. RHA brought them to BC to play games, make crafts, trick-or-treat in the Mods, and walk through the Haunted Mod.

A BCPD officer met the ecstatic kids at St. Ignatius and walked them to Walsh, where they were split into groups and  sent to the lounges to play games, get their faces painted, decorate Halloween cookies, and earn prizes.

Student volunteers, RHA members, and Mod residents all contributed to the program. Volunteers accompanied chaperones, leading the kids from Walsh to the 30 Mods that volunteered to distribute candy to the trick-or-treaters. Some Mod residents even dressed up themselves, creating an authentic Halloween environment that resonated with the children, who were visibly delighted to be there.

The general mission of RHA is to improve students’ lives in the residence halls. This also includes looking to improve the community outside of BC. Kelli Serbin, vice president of community life in RHA and A&S ’13, took a leadership role in the development and oversight of the program, and said she was  extremely happy with how the program went.

“A lot of kids said this is the best day ever,” Serbin said. “One kid told me he wanted to stay at BC for 10 years and trick-or-treat. It was an extremely challenging but rewarding experience. I loved seeing how many BC students pulled together to make this program so successful, and all of our hard work definitely paid off. Most importantly, the kids could celebrate Halloween in a safe and engaging environment.”
Elaina Donofrio, RHA vice president and A&S ’13, noted that Haunted Heights is one of her favorite events of the year. “They’re so excited and enthusiastic about the whole day, so it is nice to know our event really makes a difference,” she said.

RHA president Mike Nardella, creator of one of the Haunted Mods and A&S ’13, summed it up.  “The event was spooktacular!” he said.