Scene And Heard

Published: Thursday, April 26, 2012

A 'Rise In Imax

While little is known about Chris Nolan’s final Batman movie, a recent article from The Wall Street Journal announced that The Dark Knight Rises will feature over an hour of IMAX footage. By comparison, The Dark Knight featured about half an hour of IMAX scenes. This doubling of the technology’s screen time suggests that Rises will be the most action-packed film of the trilogy. Maybe Bane won’t have to talk too much after all.

The 'Girls' Debate

The new HBO series Girls has sparked an ongoing pop-culture debate that has temporarily drowned out the series’ critical praise. The question: is Girls racist? The series, starring four spoiled girls adjusting to real life in New York City, features an all-white cast. This has caused some online publications to deem the show unrealistic, with Jezebel calling it “exclusionary, disappointing … and upsetting.” But this backlash misses the real question of “Is Girls funny?” Watch to find out. (Hint: yes, it is).

Pop Culutre '100'

Whether taken as a sign that we are in cultural renaissance or that pop culture is taking over our country, TIME magazine’s latest 100 most influential people list contained many popular entertainers. Rihanna and Adele represented our country’s music scene, while Hollywood found itself recognized with Jessica Chastain, Viola Davis, Tilda Swinton, and Harvey Weinstein. The biggest winners, however, seemed to be American comedians, with Louis C.K., Chelsea Handler, Kristin Wiig, and Stephen Colbert all snagging spots. Take that, awards show voters!

Pixar's Return

In a glorious effort to make us forget Cars 2, Pixar has released new information on its upcoming original films. After the Monsters, Inc. prequel hits theaters next year, the animation company will rock 2014 with the release of The Good Dinosaur on May 30 of that year. Then, in 2015, get ready for Pixar’s first double-header, with The Untitled Pixar Movie That Takes You Inside the Mind and a Dia de Los Muertos-themed film.

Hip-Hop Campaign

Anyone American who hasn’t been living under a rock for the past year has heard Kanye West and Jay-Z’s massively popular “N-----s in Paris.” The same can apparently be said about French presidential candidate Francois Hollande, whose latest campaign video is set to the song, curse words, Will Ferrell and all. How will Hollande address skeptics regarding this decision? Presumably by saying “Does it look like I give a s—t?”