Scene and Heard

Published: Wednesday, October 24, 2012

1. Apples iPad Mini Debut

Apple unveiled its newest addition to the iFamily, the iPad Mini, this past week. This release coincides with the rise in complaints of the iPad’s large size and the subsequent inability to play Temple Run during work meetings. Apple has responded with a new and inconspicuous iPad, coming in at just under 8 inches tall and weighing only .68 pounds. The new iPad also promises the same memory as the third generation iPad and a 10-hour battery life, which will no doubt send their Google and Amazon competitors into a tizzy

2. Justin Ties Knot

Jessica Biel and Justin Timberlake tied the knot this past week in a private ceremony in southern Italy. While the guest list was surprisingly devoid of celebrities, funnymen Jimmy Fallon and Andy Samberg were in attendance as the couple read their vows at the Borgo Egnazia Hotel. Notably absent? Justin’s former band mates and their respective turtlenecks. The couple didn’t seem to mind, however, as they reportedly danced the night away, and Justin serenaded Biel at the reception with a soon-to-be-released song.

3. Lindsay Gets Political

The final presidential debate took place on Monday night, and one of the most notable persons won over by the president’s performance was none other than Lindsay Lohan—a previously declared Romney supporter. LiLo provided the Twitter world with entertainment, as her attempt to live tweet the debate was interrupted either by a cocktail or a realization that her knowledge of foreign policy expanded only to Cabo. Regardless, it is safe to say that Barry will sleep well tonight knowing he has the backing of a celebrity so invested in his candidacy that she cannot even show up to her own job.

4. Coulter Makes Gaffe

In more presidential news, conservative media darling Ann Coulter proved once again why she is one of the most revered political commentators of our time. Coulter tweeted the following about the debate on Monday night: “I highly approve of Romney’s decision to be kind and gentle to the retard.” Naturally, Coulter’s comment was met with outrage from Democrats and Republicans alike, condemning Coulter’s use of the word as offensive, disrespectful, and completely inappropriate. Much like a natural disaster, Coulter’s ignorance allowed tweeters to put politics aside and unite against a common enemy. 

5. Ellen Gets Rewarded

While Mitt Romney and President Obama pawed at each other in the Sunshine State, Ellen Degeneres took to Washington, D.C. to receive the Mark Twain Prize for American Humor at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts. The award, given annually to people who contribute to society in ways similar to Mark Twain, has reached its 15th year of existence, with Tina Fey and Will Ferrell as past recipients. Jimmy Kimmel and Jane Lynch were on hand to celebrate Degeneres for her award, praising her as a fearless trailblazer for women in comedy.