Scene and Heard

Published: Wednesday, November 7, 2012

1. BARRY'S MUSIC BUDS
No matter your political affiliation, you have to admit that the president has some cool celebrity friends. Obama showed off some of that star power as Bruce Springsteen and Jay-Z appeared at a campaign event to throw their support behind the incumbent and fire up the crowds. Springsteen energized the audience with his recent politically charged anthem “We Take Care of Our Own” and classics like “The Promised Land” and “No Surrender,” while Jay-Z rewrote one of his hits with a new political twist, rapping, “I’ve got 99 problems but Mitt ain’t one.”

2. FORD FOR ‘VII?’
He already re-donned the hat and whip for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, and according to a new report, Harrison Ford is open to the possibility of reprising his iconic role as Han Solo in the recently announced Star Wars: Episode VII. Nothing’s set in stone, but Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill have also discussed the sequels. Whether audiences will embrace middle-aged versions of the characters remains to be seen.

3. RIHANNA IS ‘UNAPOLOGETIC’
Less than a month ago, Rihanna made the surprise announcement of a new album set for a Nov. 19 release. On Tuesday morning, she tweeted the tracklist for the upcoming Unapologetic, which is set to include new duets with Eminem (who previously collaborated with her on the megahit “Love The Way You Lie”) and, more controversially, abusive ex-boyfriend Chris Brown. Their new collaboration is likely to keep the tabloids guessing about the nature of their relationship, but of course such controversy can only help fuel sales of the album.

4. CUSACK JOINS ‘RUSH’
In one of the strangest projects to be announced in a while, John Cusack is purportedly preparing a movie about ultra-conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh. Hollywood is no stranger to critical biopics of conservative figures, such as Oliver Stone’s Bush film W. and Clint Eastwood’s J. Edgar. Still, one has to question the cinematic potential of a Limbaugh movie: does anyone want to see or hear more of Limbaugh, in any form? But perhaps the tentatively titled Rush will have some satirical bite in our all-too-partisan political climate.

5. FOXX ELECTRIFIES SPIDEY
Villains often make or break superhero movies, and the sequel to this year’s Amazing Spider-Man is placing its bets on Jamie Foxx to anchor the second installment in the newly rebooted series. Foxx is in negotiations to play Electro, a character known for his ability to manipulate electricity, his lanky frame, and his bright green and yellow bodysuit. Considering Hollywood’s current love affair with comic-book movies, it’s easy to develop superhero fatigue, but here’s hoping Foxx puts his charisma and acting caliber to good use and enlivens the proceedings in the sequel.