Softball Enjoys Successful Tournament With Four Wins

Published: Sunday, February 26, 2012

softball

Alex Trautwig / Heights Editor

The Boston College Eagles softball team had yet another triumphant weekend, winning four of their five games in the annual 49ers Invitational. Their one and only loss came to none other than those hosting the tournament, the Charlotte 49ers, by a score of 12-2.

It was a tough game for BC pitching, which was playing against some of the best hitters in the NCAA, including left fielder Brianna Gwaltney, who had a home run herself. Nicole D'Argento, Ali Lynette-Krech, and Ronnie Mae Ayers all combined for BC's four base hits throughout the game which struggled against Charlotte's 12.

Chelsea LoBeu and Ayers were able to bring in Andrea Filler and Lynette-Krech, which gave the Eagles a 2-0 lead in the second inning. But after an offensive explosion by the 49ers in the fourth inning, the Eagles faced a deficit too large to overcome.

Previous to the loss on Sunday were two Saturday games which the Eagles handled with ease.  Outscoring their opponents 17-4, the Eagles were in command on Saturday.  

The first run against Towson came late in the first inning when D'Argento scored off a sac fly by Brittany Wilkins. Just an inning later, pinch runner Nicole Koszowski scored off a ground out by Alana DiMaso.

Both teams were quiet the next few innings, until the fifth, when D'Argento came in to pitch against a daunting bases-loaded and no outs situation. The calm junior showed her experience as she was able to get out of the jam without a run scored. The Eagles tagged on another run in the fifth and sealed the deal with a three-run sixth inning, making the final score 6-1 and giving Amanda Horowitz the win.

The 2 p.m. against Morgan State game was more of what was seen just a few hours earlier, and then some. Within just two innings, the Eagles were in control of the game with a 7-0 lead. Chelsea Dimon pitched an impeccable three innings before giving up three runs in the fifth. But run support didn't seem to be an issue for BC, whose  offense combined for 12 hits. Wilkins, Filler, Lynette-Krech, and LoBeu tormented the Bears, each with a double of their own.

D'Argento pelted one out of the park with her second home run and went on to strike out two batters in the fifth to end the early game. She joined Speer with a three RBI game Saturday afternoon, and scoring three times was Filler. All three Eagles helped in BC's 11-3 victory over Morgan State.

On Friday, the Eagles would go on to play the team they would end up losing to on Sunday. However, the result was a much better one for BC. It was a tie game after three innings, thanks to a homerun by D'Argento, bringing in herself and LoBeu. More runs in the fourth and fifth solidified the 6-2 victory over Charlotte, giving Horowitz her second win of the season.

The team had faced Morgan State earlier the tournament on Friday with similar, if not better, results. The Eagles started their the game with a six-run first inning. Wilkins began her tremendous game with a three-run homer to left. Singles by CJ Chirichigno, D'Argento, and Speer, LoBeu's sac fly, and a double by Filler helped add another three runs to the scoreboard for the Eagles.

A home run in the second by Speer added three more to BC's 6-0 lead. And after a double to left, Wilkins came around and scored for the 10th run off yet another Lynette-Krech double.

However, the high scoring achievement of the Eagles that game, in part due to the seven RBIs and four run success shared between Speer and Wilkins, was not the big story of the day. D'Argento and Dimon combined for five hitless innings, giving the Eagles their first no-hitter of the season. Striking out one batter each, D'Argento and Dimon were able to keep the Bears in check for the five innings.

The combination of these two talented pitchers was too much for Morgan State, who left the game hitless and winless.