BASEBALL: Highly Ranked Georgia Tech Dominates BC In Three Game Series

Asst. Sports Editor

Published: Sunday, March 17, 2013

Updated: Sunday, March 17, 2013 20:03

A Boston College baseball team that has been plagued by big losses this season traveled to Georgia Tech this weekend for its second ACC series of the year. Ranked 12th in the USA Today Baseball Top 25 Coaches Poll going into the weekend, the Yellow Jackets are an impressive 17-2 on the season and the highest ranked opponent that BC has faced yet this year. They continued their successful pattern with three commanding wins over the Eagles.

The first game of the weekend was on Friday evening at Russ Chandler Stadium in Atlanta. Junior Eric Stevens started on the mound for BC, but fast Georgia Tech bats took eight runs off of him in his five innings pitched.

Despite the high volume from the Yellow Jackets, it was the Eagles that struck first, scoring in the top of the first and the top of the second before Georgia Tech managed to put one on board, and BC maintained their 2-1 lead until the bottom of the third.

It took until the fifth inning for the Yellow Jackets to gain the outright lead when their two runs made the score 4-2. It was then that the Eagles put up their biggest inning of the game, but the three runs would prove to be their last of the game.  

Though there was only one big multi-run inning for Georgia Tech that came in the form of four runs during the eighth, consistent scoring throughout the duration of play proved to be too much for the Eagles, as they fell with a final score of 12-5.

The day was not without bright spots, as Matt Pare had two runs and two hits in the Eagles’ designated hitter position. Joe Cronin also proved effective with three RBIs off of three hits in his four attempts. Pare, however, was the only Eagle with multiple hits, whereas six Georgia Tech players put up more than one.

The Eagles and the Yellow Jackets took the field again the next afternoon, and once again consistency on the Georgia Tech side, both offensively and defensively, overcame BC.

The Eagles were scoreless until the fourth inning when Chris Shaw and Pare both put up single-run homers to cut the Georgia Tech lead to one.

Georgia Tech, not to be overshadowed, answered with a run of their own in the fourth and then three more in the bottom of the fifth, increasing the lead to six with seven runs to the Eagles’ two. 

Another scoreless drought, this time by both teams, until the eighth inningshowcased both teams’ defensive strength as batters fell swiftly. In the bottom of the eighth, however, five Georgia Tech hits resulted in four runs, giving the Yellow Jackets their final tally of the day.

BC scored once in the top of the ninth, but the massive nine-run deficit proved too much as they took another loss with a final score of 11-3.

Batting averages fell for the Eagles during the game with Travis Ferrick the only Eagle to make more than one hit, and five batters going without ever getting on base.

Hoping to end the weekend on a more positive note, the Eagles came out on Sunday morning in celebratory green hats for one final game against their opponent. Despite these hopes, BC fell short once again, this time scoring only one run in the 9-1 decision in which the Yellow Jackets dominated both offensively and defensively.

The game remained close with only three runs, two by Georgia Tech, one by BC, scored in the first six innings, but during the seventh the Eagles’ defense slackened and allowed five runs, setting up the eventual 9-1 victory for Georgia Tech.

Once again, the bats were slow for BC with only four hits in the entire game versus the Yellow Jackets’ 14.

After a rough weekend of play, the Eagles have now dropped eight straight since their last win over USF at the beginning of the month. With a 0-5 record in the ACC, the next few series will hold even more weight as the team hopes to make a turnaround.