BC DT Mehdi Abdesmad Will Miss Remainder Of 2013 Season

Sports Editor

Published: Thursday, October 3, 2013

Updated: Thursday, October 3, 2013 01:10

Mehdi

Boston College head coach Steve Addazio confirmed yesterday that junior defensive lineman Mehdi Abdesmad will miss the rest of the 2013 season due a left patellar tendon injury suffered in the third quarter of the Eagles’ 48-34 loss to Florida State last Saturday.

“It’s a tough loss, but you’ve got to move forward,” Addazio said. “That’s the way it is. He’s a heck of a kid and a heck of a player and he’s going to do fine.”

Abdesmad has not yet had surgery, but Addazio said it is scheduled.

“That’s the time of year we’re in right now and that’s the thing we’re most concerned about right now,” Addazio said. “Everyone’s confronted with that, we just have such a serious lack of depth that it surfaces very fast on us.

“Make no mistake, that was a really heavy price to pay for us. We’re not very deep. That’s not an excuse, that’s just the truth.’’

Senior Jaryd Rudolph is slotted to take Abdesmad’s starting spot on Saturday, with freshman Truman Gutapfel moving into the backup left tackle position.

“I know Mehdi was one of our best,” Rudolph said about Abdesmad’s absence. “Hopefully we can replace it.”

While Abdesmad was being helped off the field after the injury, he yelled to his teammates, “Let’s go. Do this.”

“When Mehdi said that to me—it was just sort of for the FSU game and the rest of the season—I was just like, ‘I’ve got to go all out,’” said senior captain and defensive lineman Kasim Edebali. “You never know when your last play is. I just try to play with as much passion, as much heart, and have Mehdi always in the back of my mind and just try to make plays.”

Addazio called Abdesmad one of BC’s best defensive lineman, and his loss will put pressure on Rudolph as well as the rest of the front seven to keep up the improved play so far this year. 

After notching just six sacks all of last season, a mark that finished last in the country, and allowing 215 rushing yards per game, the Eagles have already totaled 13 sacks through four games and have held opponents to 174 yards per game on the ground.

“Jaryd is one of the most hard working guys that we’ve got,” Edebali said. “Ever since freshman year I think the guy who’s made the most progress throughout his career is Jaryd.”