BC Topples Harvard In Opening Round Of Beanpot

Published: Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Boston College would not be denied. After losing in the first round of the Beanpot last season, the Eagles came out with a vengeance in their first-round game against the Harvard Crimson. Eighteen seconds into the second period, captain Matt Price scored to seize control of the game for the Eagles after a back-and-forth first period. The goal stretched BC's lead to 2-0, and then it was smooth sailing, as BC defeated Harvard in blowout fashion, 6-0. The win sends the Eagles to the Beanpot Championship for the second time in three seasons.

Things went BC's way, early and often. On the Eagles' first goal, despite being knocked down in front of the net, assistant captain Ben Smith was still able to get enough stick on the puck to direct it to teammate Brian Gibbons. Smith then recovered and waited for Gibbons to pass it his way for a quick one-timer over Harvard goalie Kyle Richter's glove side. The first strike was a good sign for a BC team that now holds a 10-4-1 record on the season when scoring first.

Even though Harvard had a few chances in the remaining minutes of the first period to gain some momentum, the Eagles' defense did a good job seizing control of the puck whenever anyone threatened to strike near goaltender John Muse.

BC kept up the defensive pressure for the rest of the night, and even when Harvard was able to get off shots, Muse snatched each and every one, making 33 total saves in the game.

On the offensive side of the puck, the Eagles demonstrated a truly complete team effort. Over half of the BC players that saw ice time notched at least one point, and all six of the Eagles' scores were recorded by different players.

Toward the end of the game, tensions rose in the typically high-octane Beanpot atmosphere, and Harvard showed a noticeable level of frustration. With the Eagles leading 3-0 at the start of the third period, the game quickly began to devolve thanks to unnecessary penalties. A total of 12 were called in the third period alone, matching the combined total of the first two periods. For Harvard, both Daniel Moriarty and Ryan Grimshaw, were assessed 10-minute misconduct penalties, and overall, the Crimson recorded 16 penalties for a total of 48 minutes.

The Eagles took advantage of Harvard's tired and unfocused play in the third period and tallied three more goals to stretch their lead to 6-0 before skating out the rest of the game. BC now looks ahead to a Hockey East tilt against the University of Massachusetts on Friday night, before getting set to play Boston University for the fourth time this season Monday at 8 p.m. The Terriers earned a championship berth after taking down Northeastern, 2-1.

For more extensive coverage of the first round of the Beanpot, check out the upcoming Feb. 4 edition of The Heights.