Column: Recapping The Best Of BC For 2012-2013

Asst. Sports Editor

Published: Thursday, May 3, 2012

So, the news about Montel Harris being kicked off of the football team sucks, but it would be irrational to have expected him to put up any serious production next season anyway, given all of his recent injuries. Between Deuce Finch (the likely starter), Andre Williams, and Tahj Kimble, the Boston College backfield should be fine. There are definitely issues with how the athletic department handled releasing its all-time leading rusher, but that’s not what this column is going to be about. This is my last column of the school year, and I think we could all use something to look forward to.

What follows is essentially a best-case scenario for football, men’s basketball, and men’s hockey (hey, it’s the last week of classes, I couldn’t get around to every sport), while still being as reasonable as possible. No, I don’t have every team winning its conference or a national title (I’m optimistic, but I’m not crazy), but let’s try to look on the bright side and consider how good next year could actually be for the big three BC sports.

Sept. 1, 2012 - On a Saturday afternoon in Chestnut Hill, the football team opens up the season against a Miami squad in total flux. The Hurricane offense ends up looking anemic compared to the Eagle attack, led by new offensive coordinator Doug Martin. Quarterback Chase Rettig is allowed to air the ball out for the first time in his career and throws two touchdowns while Finch runs for one of his own. Both guys are propelled by an offensive line that is finally finding some consistency, creating holes for Finch, and giving Rettig time to throw.Kaleb Ramsey provides pressure on the Miami quarterback, something Superfans haven’t seen in a long time, and CJ Jones returns to the secondary, shutting down the Hurricane receivers along with help from Al-Louis Jean. The Eagles seal the victory, and there are smiles all around.

Sept. 29, 2012 - After using the momentum from the Miami victory to propel themselves to wins over Maine and Northwestern (Finch rattles off 150 rushing yards and two TDs over the Wildcats), the Eagles are brought back down to earth against Clemson by the explosive combination of Sammy Watkins and Tajh Boyd.

Nov. 3, 2012 – BC responds to the Clemson loss by taking care of business against Army, but is torched by EJ Manuel and Florida State in Tallahassee. The Eagles then lose a nail-biter on the road to Georgia Tech the next week on a last-second field goal from the left hash mark (middle shmiddle, right?). Back-to-back wins over Maryland and Wake Forest, though, restore the Eagles to a 5-4 record after dropping below .500. Rettig is firing on all cylinders yet again, throwing for a combined 600 yards in the two wins over the Terps and Demon Deacons heading into the Notre Dame game.

Nov. 18, 2012 – A raucous home crowd and a huge game from Finch lead to a thrilling 10-point victory over Notre Dame, and although the Eagles can’t keep their streak up against Virginia Tech the next week, Superfans still have plenty to cheer about. The basketball team, after winning their first three tune-up games, reaches the finals of the Charleston Classic before losing to Baylor on a last-second 3-pointer. It’s a tough loss, but the team finally looks like they are in sync on the offensive and defensive ends after a whole summer mastering Donahue’s complex system. Ryan Anderson is named to the all-tournament team after averaging 18 points and eight rebounds in his three games.

Dec. 31, 2012 – BC finishes the football season at 7-5, making it to the Music City Bowl in Nashville on New Year’s Eve against Texas A&M. Spaz leads the team to a toppling of those pesky Aggies, and retires the next day on top of the world (you know, relatively). When students return to the Heights, Spaz is honored by athletic director Gene DeFilippo in an awkward but sweet ceremony in the new O’Neill Plaza, celebrating “the incredible impact he has had on the program.”

Meanwhile, the basketball team closes out their non-conference schedule by finally beating Harvard. They enter conference play with only three losses, led by freshman Olivier Hanlan at point guard and a strong frontcourt consisting of Anderson, a rejuvenated Patrick Heckmann, and a confident Dennis Clifford.

Feb. 11, 2013 – How could I forget hockey? Probably because I’m from Texas, it’s almost summer, and hockey is the furthest thing from my mind. Anyway, after slumping through January yet again, head coach Jerry York (now the winningest coach in history) and BC put it together at the Garden, topping BU in the Beanpot.

After shocking a young and talented UNC squad at Conte Forum in a two-point win early in conference play, the basketball team steals a win over Duke at Cameron on a Lonnie Jackson and-one 3-pointer in overtime. The student section in Conte is full for the remainder of the season, and Donahue’s Disciples finally get the chance to have some of those cheers catch on.