Double Trouble For Football
Published: Wednesday, February 22, 2012
Updated: Wednesday, January 9, 2013 18:01
The Boston College football team was dealt two blows this week, just days into the start of spring practices. First, head coach Frank Spaziani announced that star running back Montel Harris will be held out of the entire spring after re-aggravating his knee injury. Then, the NCAA announced yesterday that BC's appeal for a sixth year of eligibility for wide receiver Ifeanyi Momah was denied.
Harris sat out much of last season with a left knee injury, going down just a month after it was operated on by Dr. Tom Gill. He was said to be 100 percent entering the first official practice on Saturday, but complained of soreness afterwards. Two days later, Spaziani made the decision that Harris would be sidelined for the spring.
Yesterday, the program received more bad news when the NCAA denied Momah a sixth year. The wideout played in just one game last year before suffering a season-ending knee injury. The ACC approved a medical hardship waiver for Momah, but BC's request for a sixth year for him was turned down twice by the NCAA since he did not play in the 2009 season. A written explanation for the denial was not issued, but will be mailed to BC in two to three weeks.
"This is very disappointing news," Spaziani said. "We only want what is best for Ifeanyi, and I felt a sixth year would have benefited him greatly after missing two full seasons with injuries. He is a great young man who will leave Boston College with a degree in hand. We are very grateful for his contributions to our football program, on and off the field, and we hope he is able to continue pursuing his dreams."