Eagles Drop A Tough Loss On The Road At Maryland

Published: Sunday, February 19, 2012

Coming off of four games decided by five points or fewer, the Boston College men's basketball team went into its game at Maryland with a realistic chance to capture an ACC road win. Unfortunately, the Eagles couldn't keep it as close as those prior contests, as they fell to the Terrapins, 81-65.

BC never recovered from a 29-4 Maryland run that featured seven threes in a row by the Terps, including four by guard Terrell Stoglin. Stoglin came into the game as the ACC's leading scorer and certainly showed why, finishing with 24 points and five threes on the night.

"That is why Stoglin is dangerous: he can get hot," said head coach Steve Donahue. "He got in a rhythm. We allowed him to get a couple of catch-and-shoots, and that is the best thing that the kid can do."

The Eagles jumped out to a quick 10-4 lead and looked confident early on. Ryan Anderson, who finished the night with 22 points and 10 rebounds, contributed five points to begin the game, including a turnaround jumper and three-point play. But BC's offense then proceeded to launch deep threes and turn the ball over, leading to both open looks and transition opportunities for Maryland.

In a span of 1:37, at six minutes into the game, Stoglin scored 11 points and the Eagles gave up the ball twice. At the end of their run, the Terps were up 33-14.

"We started man-to-man," Donahue said. "About the 14 minute mark, I switched it up to zone. They were carving us up and hitting shots. Switching it up worked for a little while, but then they hit a couple of threes and got hot."

The Eagles didn't give in, however, and finished the half outscoring the Terps 13-8. This was aided by Lonnie Jackson, who hit two threes in a row in the midst of an 8-0 BC run. Jackson finished with 19 points, hitting 3-of-8 threes and continuing to look comfortable and poised on the court.

The same could not be said of fellow freshman guard Jordan Daniels, however, as the 5-foot-8 point guard finished with a mere two points, missing all six shots he took from the field.

The Eagles came out with a quick six points in the second half, cutting the Terps' lead to single digits. Unfortunately, it was the last time they were that close until three minutes left in the game. Anderson scored four of those, including two on a great fake from beyond the arc, followed by a one-handed baseline shot off the backboard. He made those types of plays all game, going 9-of-16 from the field and showing an arsenal of moves, whether it was a fantastic up-and-under or a lefty hook shot.

"I think the basis for the game was just us not coming out ready to play," Anderson said. "They took a huge lead on us in the beginning, and from that point on, we played better basketball the last 30 minutes of the game. The first 10 [minutes] just made too big of a deficit for us."

The Eagles kept it moderately close in the second half, and got within seven at the three-minute mark of the game. After Lonnie Jackson made two free throws to pull BC to 63-56, Maryland closed on an 18-9 run.

The Eagles' offense calmed down in the second half, helped by a game plan that called for the ball down low to Anderson and especially Dennis Clifford. The Eagles turned the ball over just twice in the half as their offense execution vastly improved. Clifford finished 3-of-12 from the field, including a couple of missed dunks, but was extremely close on a number of shots.

"As his strength and experience catch up to him, he will be good," Donahue said. "He was an inch away on five or six shots. If they go, then he had a great game. He played well in the beginning of the season and was freshman of the week, but you hit a couple of bumps in the road when you are a freshman going against older guys."

Unfortunately, Matt Humphrey didn't shoot well for the Eagles again, finishing 2-of-8 from the field. He drove to the hoop a number of times but was well-defended, including a couple of failed attempts in transition. The Eagles shot 32 percent from the field for the game, and only 4-of-15 on threes. Excluding Anderson's performance, the Eagles shot 10-of-42.

"For the first time in a while, we didn't compete as well as we have been," Donahue said. "We just didn't have a good body language going. We didn't play the way that we have for the last couple of months."