Eagles Earn First ACC Win At Va. Tech

Zenevitch, Shields Come Up Big In Win

The Eagles are growing up.

After suffering an 11-game losing streak to open up ACC play for the season, the youthful Boston College women's basketball team (6-19) picked up its first conference win, defeating the Hokies of Virginia Tech (7-18) by a score of 64-60 Monday night in Blacksburg.

With the win being foreshadowed by their competitive loss against the No. 5 Duke Blue Devils on Thursday night, the BC team came to Blacksburg with a nothing-to-lose mentality, knowing their status as underdogs could allow them to steal a road win from a struggling opponent.

Following the trend of Thursday night's loss, the team was led by sophomore forward Katie Zenevitch, who scored 17 points. The sophomore continued to be a force on the post during ACC play.

Also playing a major factor in the win was junior Kerri Shields, who put up 15 points. Shields, who has been noticeably struggling in recent games, helped make the difference in a close contest.

The Eagles, having lost 38-35 against the Hokies earlier this season in Chestnut Hill, managed to overcome their opponents by making more of their three-point attempts. The team was 10-for-21 from behind the arc for the night, with five of those baskets coming from Shields.

Despite their youth, the Eagles have shown progress in their past two games, and have a good opportunity to pick up a second ACC win against the Clemson Tigers (6-17) at Conte Forum tonight.

Head coach Sylvia Crawley was not present at the game on Monday night due to sickness, but was still able to watch the game and should be back for BC's matchup tonight.