Eagles Fight Back For Crucial Point In Tie

Sports Editor

Published: Wednesday, January 18, 2012

While students were adjusting to life back on campus and beginning new classes with the start of the semester, it was more of the same for the No. 4 Boston College women's hockey team on Tuesday night at Kelley Rink. In their third battle of the season with No. 7 Northeastern, the Eagles came back from a 1-0 deficit to tie the game in the third period, earning themselves another important point in the heated Hockey East standings.

The two teams came into the game tied for first place, but 65 minutes were not enough to give one side the upper hand in a race for the top spot. After a scoreless first period, the Huskies tried to make their surge in the second period when Lucie Povova scored off a rebound halfway through the frame.

The 1-0 score held through the end of the period, and Northeastern was on track to steal a win on the road. BC would not go that easily, however, as it evened the score 6:38 into the third. The score was set up off a faceoff won by Meagan Mangene, and from there the Eagles used fluid puck movement to finish off the scoring opportunity. Mary Restuccia took the puck from the top of the zone and sent a pass into the middle, where Mangene was able to redirect the puck to Ashley Motherwell. The junior fired the puck into the back of the net to tie the game, good for her seventh goal of the season.

In overtime, neither team was able to get the puck between the pipes, thanks to both goaltenders. BC's Corinne Boyles finished with 40 saves, while Northeastern's Florence Schelling racked up 31 of her own.

"I thought it was a great battle back," head coach Katie King Crowley said of her team's perseverance after being down. "I really thought overall it was just a great hockey game. Pretty up and down, both teams had opportunities, both goalies played really well. I think if you were up in the stands, it was a pretty good hockey game to watch. I was really happy with the way our kids battled back."

Though the two teams were forced to settle for the tie and are still in a knot atop the Hockey East standings, the tie was still a beneficial result for the home team. If BC and Northeastern finish the regular season in a tie for first place, the Eagles will have the tiebreaker, secured by the point from the tie. BC won the first two meetings between the rivals, and after Tuesday's game they will still meet once more in the first round of the Beanpot. Even if the Huskies win that game, the Eagles will maintain the tiebreaker advantage given the head-to-head results.

"It was huge," Crowley said of getting the point. "Now we're still tied for first place. We'll end up playing them one more time at least in the Beanpot. They've become a big rival with us this year, and we won the first two, which is nice. So if it does come down to a tiebreaker, we win out."

With the heated contest coming on the first day of classes for players, the tie was even more impressive given the distractions of getting back into the swing of daily life as a college student. Crowley said she did think it was tough to have a game on that night, but credited her team for maintaining its focus.

"You do have time over break to kind of get adjusted," she said. "To play on the first day of classes is always kind of tough, to get back into classes and then to get going with the game. But I thought our kids adjusted well, and I really thought we played pretty well."

Now with the schedule back to normal in the new semester, Crowley's team can turn their attention to the home stretch of the regular season.

"We got 10 more games left," she said. "There are things we've got to take care of, and [then we'll] make a run at it."