Eagles Get Tripped Up By Dartmouth On Home Turf

Assoc. Sports Editor

Published: Thursday, April 26, 2012

trippin 4/26

The Boston College baseball team (16-26) lost a nonconference contest against Dartmouth College (19-15), 9-6, at Shea Field yesterday afternoon. The Eagles saw a solid performance from junior pitcher Jay Jeannotte in his first career start. BC was also led by sophomore catcher Nate LaPointe, who finished the day 3-for-4 with a home run, three runs scored, and two RBIs.

Head coach Mike Gambino was blunt about his team’s loss.

“I thought Dartmouth came in and outcompeted us,” he said.

The Big Green took the early first-inning lead, scoring two runs. Shortstop Joe Sclafani led off with a single to center field. The next batter, second baseman Matt Parisi, brought home the game’s first run with a triple off the first pitch of his at-bat. Parisi then scored on a groundout to the first baseman.

After this early deficit, Jeannotte settled down to throw two shutout innings. He allowed three hits and three walks, while striking out three batters.

“It was great to have J.J. out there,” Gambino said. “He struggled a little bit in the first, but settled down to give us two more clean innings. It was awesome to have him back out there.”

The Eagles’ offense utilized this early performance to cut the lead to one when sophomore Tom Bourdon drove LaPointe in on a double. LaPointe began the inning with a single up the middle, and moved to second on a bunt single from third baseman John Hennessy. After moving runners to second and third on a groundout, Bourdon hit a shot to bring LaPointe home.

Then, after neither team scored in the fourth frame, both teams saw great scoring efforts. In the top of the inning, designated hitter Chris O’Dowd led off with a shallow single to right. He stole second, and the ball skidded into the outfield to advance him to third. First baseman Dustin Selzer singled up the middle to score the run, and then Jeff Keller reached on a tough liner down the line that was stopped by the third baseman. McDowell had a great situational bunt to advance the runners to second and third. Then, right fielder David Turnbull hit a deep drive to right for the double, scoring two more runs, and making the score 5-1. Jake Carlson continued the effort with a single up the middle to score Turnbull, and Sclafani brought home the seventh run for the Big Green on a bloop single to right.

With the Eagles down 7-1, the team made a determined comeback effort at the bottom of the inning. First baseman Tyler Hinchliffe started off with a shallow single to center. LaPointe came through with a shot down the third-base line to put runners at second and third. Senior Marc Perdios lined a ball past the first baseman to score the two runners, and put himself in scoring position at second base. Spenser Payne then came in off the bench to pinch hit, launching a double off the wall in center to bring the score to 7-4.

Eagle pitcher Geoffrey Murphy took the mound after lefty Steve Green gave up the five earned runs in the fifth to shut down the Big Green offense. He controlled the plate well in 2.1 innings, giving up two hits and no walks with two strikeouts. Dartmouth would not score again until the eighth inning, when freshman reliever John Gorman gave up a two-run bomb to Keller. Then, senior captain Kyle Prohovich came in to throw a scoreless ninth inning.

The Eagles once again looked as if they could pull off a comeback when LaPointe hit a ninth inning round-tripper. Hinchliffe started the rally with a two-out double, and scored on the bomb to left, but the team was unable to do any more damage.

Gambino said that his squad will need to overcome its midweek slumps, which have been a reoccurring theme this season. He already knows his players are looking forward to their weekend series with ACC foe Wake Forest.