FOOTBALL: Addazio Fills Out Staff

Eight New Hires Refresh BC Football

Published: Thursday, January 17, 2013

Updated: Thursday, January 17, 2013 02:01

Head Coach Steve Addazio has gotten right down to business in filling out his coaching staff for next season, announcing nine hires over the break. The coaching staff now looks much more complete than it did a month ago, with several key roles having been filled.

Addazio started by hiring Don Brown to be the Eagles new defensive coordinator. Brown spent the last two seasons at the same position at UConn, where his Huskies ranked No. 10 in the nation in yards allowed and No. 22 overall in scoring defense.

Brown brings an aggressive style of defense that focuses on pressuring the quarterback and attacking the line of scrimmage, areas that the Eagles were noticeably weak in last season. He will face a difficult challenge turning around a defense that allowed almost 30 points and over 450 yards per game last season.

Addazio then made official the hiring of Ryan Day as the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach.

Day had previously been the wide receivers coach for the Eagles through 2011 and spent last season as the offensive coordinator at Temple with Addazio. Day’s offense at Temple focused on another former Eagle in Montel Harris, who led the running attack for the Owls. Day—along with Addazio—will likely seek to reestablish some balance in their offense and lean more heavily on the running game and players like Deuce Finch and Andre Williams.

Justin Frye was the next hiring, with Addazio naming him the offensive line coach. Frye spent the last two seasons at the same position with Addazio at Temple, and will look to return the line to the form that won BC the praise of being called ‘O-Line U’ in past seasons. The line was a main concern for the Eagles last season, but Frye’s offensive line at Temple last season blocked for the number one rushing attack in the Big East.

Bill McGovern was then named the linebacker coach, a position he has held for the past 12 seasons. He had also been the defensive coordinator for the past four, but will now be turning over those duties to Brown. McGovern has coached his share of great linebackers in recent years such as Mark Herzlich, Jo-Lonn Dunbar, and most recently Luke Kuechly, and has a number of talented players returning next year.

Next up was Frank Leonard, who was hired as the tight ends coach after spending the 2012 season at the same position at Temple. Leonard also has some professional coaching experience, as he coached the tight ends for the St. Louis Rams from 2009-2011. The Eagles suffered mightily at the tight end position last season, with Chris Pantale missing most of the year with an injury and the underclassmen failing to get involved with the passing game. Leonard brings with him 28 years of coaching experience that Addazio hopes will prove invaluable to the young Eaglestight ends.

Frank Piraino was brought in by Addazio as the strength and conditioning coach. Like a number of the other new coaches, Piraino spent the past two seasons at the same position under Addazio at Temple. Piraino has taught strength and conditioning at a number of different schools for a number of different sports. He has served as the staff leader for Florida baseball, Marshall football, and assisted at Michigan State for basketball, football, and hockey.

The seventh move made by Addazio saw Ben Albert named as an assistant coach. Albert has spent the past two seasons as Addazio’s linebackers coach at Temple, and brings with him 17 years of coaching experience that includes a brief stint as the defensive line coach for the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Finally, Addazio announced the hirings of Todd Fitch as wide receivers coach and Al Wasington as the running backs coach. Fitch served the past three seasons as the offensive coordinator at the University of South Florida and has 26 years of coaching experience, during which he has served under some big name coaches such as Lou Holtz.

Washington spent last season as an assistant special teams and assistant defensive line coach at BC. Washington was also a defensive tackle at BC from 2002-2005 and had spent his time since with some smaller programs before returning to Chestnut Hill last year.