FOOTBALL: BC Reruiting Class Of 2013 Announced

Head Coach Steve Addazio Brings 17 New Players To The Eagle Roster For Next Season

Sports Editor

Updated: Wednesday, February 6, 2013 22:02

Daz

Head football coach Steve Addazio announced the addition of 17 members to the Boston College football team yesterday afternoon in the Yawkey Athletic Center. 

The 2013 class of BC football signees included 15 incoming freshmen and two transfer students. 

“I think the most important mandate when I got here is to honor all commitments,” Addazio said.

When Addazio was hired in December, the 2013 class was already full with commitments for the 17 available spots on the roster from former head coach Frank Spaziani’s tenure. BC has a policy to honor all scholarship offers during a coaching change, and Addazio stuck with it. 

“There are some wonderful players and some wonderful student-athletes,” Addazio said of the class.

He said their high character, love of BC, academic record, and on-field success in high school is what makes them a good fit as Eagles. 

Rivals.com ranks BC’s class as 87th in the country, ahead of only Addazio’s former school, Temple, and Cincinatti, out of all the BCS automatic qualifying schools. The 15 incoming freshmen average about two-and-a-half stars out of five on the site. Yet Addazio isn’t concerned with the rating system.

“Sometimes stars can be accurate, sometimes they can’t,” Addazio said.

He went on to say that he’s looking for an “It Factor” with the players he recruits. He mentioned that guys like Luke Kuechly and Matt Ryan weren’t highly rated players coming out of high school, but went on to be first-round draft picks. 

While he discussed this year’s class in detail, Addazio also focused on the class of 2014, which he has complete control over.

“My hope is to bring in a much bigger class next year, and pinpoint some real needs,” he said.

He pointed to the secondary as one key area that needs help through recruiting.

“We’re going to tap into some of the finest football players that are out there,” Addazio said of his recruiting for 2014.

The offensive line will receive a boost with the addition of transfers Louie Addazio and Matt Patchan. Louie Addazio, son of the BC head coach, is a transfer from Syracuse who enrolled in classes this semester. He did not play at Syracuse due to injury. 

In addition to Addazio, BC also added former five-star prospect Matt Patchan, who comes to Chestnut Hill from the University of Florida. Patchan played in 27 games at Florida and made eight starts. Addazio recruited Patchan when he was an assistant for the Gators. Patchan will be eligible to play right away, joining BC as a graduate student after getting his degree from Florida.

Addazio called Patchan “a known great player that can come in and help us.”

Another highlight from and late addition to the class is Tyler Rouse, the Gatorade Player of the Year in New York, who Addazio compared to recent Super Bowl champion Ray Rice because of his size. Rouse, however, was not listed on the major ranking services for recruiting despite his high school accolades.

The head coach said that a key recruiting strategy going forward will be to build a fence around the state of Massachusetts.

“That’s not going to happen,” Addazio said of top-talent leaving the state to play elsewhere. “We’re going to build a fence around a four-hour radius. When we look at tape, we go inside-out.”

Although the coach isn’t focused on the star-rating system, he is still determined to have a competitive recruiting class in the future.

“Our goal here is to have one of the finest recruiting classes in the ACC,” he said.

He didn’t overlook the importance of having the recruits be a good fit for BC beyond football, though.

“You can recruit like crazy to Boston College because it has so much to offer, but in my opinion it takes longer to recruit here,” he said. “It’s very important at Boston College that you have the right fit. There is an academic and character component here.”