FOOTBALL: Win At All Costs

Heights Senior Staff

Published: Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Updated: Wednesday, May 1, 2013 22:05

Rettig

Daniel Lee / Heights Senior Staff

There won’t be much use for a quarterback like Chase Rettig at Boston College in five years.

His intangibles would be welcomed, but his skill set—a strong, accurate arm but more of a pocket passer than a dual threat—isn’t what head coach Steve Addazio has in mind for his ideal quarterback. The cumbersome brace that adorns Rettig’s left knee each game serves as a reminder of his valuable arm, not so much his legs.

There is a lot more changing around the program than just the offensive scheme, though.

Names are coming off the back of jerseys. The locker room has been rearranged. Competition at practice is bursting at the seams. Accountability that was lost is now being taken. 

Suffice it to say, the culture around the entire football program is going through a major transition. 

In the immediate, however, Rettig is BC’s quarterback, and he’s planning on being a part of the change happening around him as much as he can.

“We won’t see it personally when we’re here—next year I think we’ll have a good year—but over the next 10 years, this place is going to be different,” Rettig said. “It’s going to happen. The older guys, we’re doing everything we can to make that happen this year.”

While he is on his way out with a new system coming in, Rettig knows there is only one thing he can do to make the change happen: win.

Rettig has already begun preparations to do just that in his senior season, his last shot to prove himself as a college quarterback.

“At the end of the day, everything I can control, I really want to put my best foot forward at it … I just want to win,” Rettig said. “Everything I can do to do that, that’s what I’m going to do.”

Until those wins start coming, there aren’t many opponents on the Eagles’ schedule for next year circling their game against BC as one to watch out for. That’s just fine with Rettig.

“We’re a lot of homecoming games, parents’ weekend games,” Rettig said. “The best thing about it is that no one cares about BC in our conference right now. That gets people fired up. That gets me fired up. Wait ‘til we really get on someone or put someone down.” 

While Rettig believes that he can throw the ball as well as any other quarterback in the ACC, he realizes that none of that will matter if his play on the field doesn’t amount to wins.

With one season left and a reputation that has yet to be fully determined, Rettig can hear the clock in the back of his head ticking. Time is running out on his collegiate career, and Rettig knows he has unfinished business to prove himself as a quarterback.

“We dedicate so much time to 12 shots,” he said. “Everyone busts their butt so much, you got to make your shots count. You have to win the close games. And when you have the opportunity to really step on another team’s throat by a couple of scores, you have to take advantage of that.”

The 12 shots awaiting Rettig and his teammates begin in August, though the preparation for them has already begun. It began when the final whistle blew at North Carolina State last November and when Rettig pulled his team together in the ensuing weeks and told them that what happened in 2012 wasn’t going to fly in 2013.

“We set a standard and we have to live by it,” Rettig said.

If the Eagles prove they can live up to that standard as a team, Rettig believes the results will show.

In order to have a shot at pulling off the wins that have come sparingly in the past two seasons, Rettig and his teammates still have plenty of work to do on the field.

That work started this spring, and will continue throughout the summer, which will have a different feel than in years past. Instead of being here the whole summer as they have been in years past, the Eagles will have a three-week break after finals, before they return to campus midway through the first session of summer classes. 

Rettig is hoping that while the summer workouts will help bring the team together, they will also be a time to get more reps in the new offense, which he is excited about.

“I think coach Addazio is really smart when it comes to the run game and the offense—he’s an offensive guy,” Rettig said. “This will be a better scheme for Andre [Williams] than it was last year. We’re going to be different this year. It’ll be more like my freshman year—more run with play action. If you do it the right way, it works really well.”

The increased focus on the run doesn’t bother Rettig as a quarterback. He realizes that a good run game helps out the passing attack, and he’s even looking forward to keeping a few runs for himself.

“We haven’t had a lot of packages for me. I don’t know why, because I’m really fast,” Rettig said jokingly. “The thing is, if we run the ball well and throw the ball well, those times when I do pull it will be when the defense is screwed up. I know all my reads, so when I do pull it, I know what to do. I’m confident I can get first downs and make plays happen. I like running the football, I just haven’t been asked to. Hopefully that’ll be something that can help us this year.” 

If Addazio decides that he wants to insert backup quarterback Josh Bordner for certain run packages in a game, Rettig will be the first to throw his support behind Bordner. The two are best friends, and have been since they got to campus.

“Some people think it would be hard to have a relationship with him because you’re both going after the No. 1 spot, but we’ve been pretty good at it,” Rettig said. “At the end of the day, either of us would do anything just to get a win.” 

That’s what it keeps on coming down to for Rettig—winning.