Hard-working And Humble, Fletcher Aims For A Shot At NFL Dream

Published: Monday, March 26, 2012

The idea “work hard, stay humble” is a motto that is not always easy to live up to. Yet, this expression reflects how Boston College cornerback Donnie Fletcher is approaching the challenging path that all NFL Draft prospects face.

Fletcher has posted this mantra on his Twitter page as a continuous reminder of the sacrifice that is needed to reach his goal. Fletcher was a team captain in 2011, and has seen consistent action in all four years here at BC. He leaves the program with 181 tackles, 10 passes defended, and 10 interceptions. He saw his best statistical accomplishments his junior season, as he tallied five interceptions, which was good for 11th in the country. Possibly his most important attribute is his durability, as Fletcher has played in 51 games for the Eagles, including 31 starts.

Despite these accolades and his solid performance at the Senior Bowl, Fletcher was not invited to the NFL Combine in February. The NFL Draft is a complicated activity, as each team has its own agenda, and even the slightest mishap or poor workout can determine the fate of a prospect.

“I can only control what I can control,” Fletcher said.

After the combine, the next best venue to display his value to potential NFL suitors was at BC’s Pro Day. Leading up to this point, Fletcher had been working out in Arizona with Fischer Sports, a strength and conditioning agency that helps train high-caliber athletes.

Fletcher has been training at their facility for the past few months to improve his draft stock, and his hard work did not go to waste. Fletcher posted a blazing 4.38-second time in the 40-yard dash. His athleticism has always been one of his strengths, and this was clearly on display during his Pro Day, as he also put up 17 reps on the bench press.

While workout numbers may not be as indicative of future success as on-field performance, those figures are extremely impressive. He weighed in at just under 200 pounds at a height of 6-foot-1.

Fletcher was pleased with his performance in such a high stakes scenario, but he also acknowledged that the process is far from over. His showing at BC’s Pro Day, coupled with his consistent play over the past four years, should lead to a draft day selection and a fulfillment of that motto.