High-Scoring Eagles Defeat Big Green

Published: Monday, October 24, 2011

In the highest scoring game the Eagles have played all season, a hat trick from Boston College forward Anna Wetherall helped fend off a strong attack from Dartmouth in a 6-4 win on Sunday.

The Big Green matched the highest goal tally allowed by the Eagles this year due to a hat trick from senior Kelly Hood, but it wasn't enough thanks to a collaborative effort on the Eagle's offensive front. The Eagles outshot Dartmouth 14-12 and had twice as many corners, with a 10-5 advantage.

BC started off with an early goal in the first five minutes by Wetherall off a penalty corner. The Eagles are now 8-0 for the season when scoring before their opponent and 2-7 when they do not. Dartmouth quickly responded with a goal of its own, but Courtney Tavener and Sarah Hospodar continued the offensive onslaught, each finding the net for the Eagles as they took a 3-1 lead. Hospodar's goal late in the opening half was the first of her collegiate career.

BC began to pull away in the second half after a goal from Carla Tamer set up by Jacqui Moorfield's second assist marked the fourth different Eagle player to score, but back-to-back goals from Hood tied the game up at 4-4.

Wetherall then completed her first hat trick as an Eagle by netting two unanswered goals in a three-minute span to put the Eagles up 6-4 with 10 minutes left. She knocked in one from the top of the circle and another off of an assist from sophomore Virgynia Muma. The BC defense stood strong for the rest of the half and goalkeeper Nicole Barry recorded her fifth save after nine shots on goal during the 10-minute span to seal the win.

The Eagles now have a record of 10-7 and the door to be one of 16 teams who qualify for the NCAA tournament remains open. One more regular season game at Wake Forest and the upcoming ACC tournament will provide opportunities for a rejuvenated offense to prove that they belong.