LACROSSE: BC Offense Silenced By Terrapin D

Assoc. Sports Editor

Published: Sunday, March 17, 2013

Updated: Sunday, March 17, 2013 22:03

Looking to record an upset victory in its ACC home opener, the Boston College women’s lacrosse team dueled with undefeated No. 1 Maryland on Saturday afternoon.

Despite a second-half comeback attempt, however, head coach Acacia Walker’s Eagles suffered their first conference loss of the season by a final score of 13-5. BC remains winless against the Terrapins in 10 meetings.  

Maryland’s high-powered offense struck right out of the gates, as freshman Taylor Cummings tallied two scores in the first two minutes of regulation to hand her team an early advantage. The Terrapins’ rookie standout was well on her way to a dominant four-goal performance.

Yet the Eagles soon provided an answer to Maryland’s attack and fought their way onto the scoreboard thanks to junior Moira Barry. The BC veteran launched a free-position shot past Terrapin goalie Kasey Howard for the home team’s first score of the game. Just when it seemed that the Eagles were bound to stay even with the visiting ACC powerhouse, Maryland struck back. Cummings and teammate Haile Majorana scored within 20 seconds of each other to extend the Terrapin lead to 4-1.

Though BC sophomore Covie Stanwick notched two of her three goals on the afternoon before heading into the break, Maryland’s Kelly McPartland and Beth Glaros each snuck a score past Eagle keeper Emily Mata to bring a 7-3 Terrapin lead into the half.

The second frame opened with nearly seven minutes of scoreless lacrosse—an offensive duel had suddenly turned to a defensive struggle. After McPartland sparked the second-half scoring with her second goal of the game, Stanwick provided a strong BC response with an unassisted score of her own and completed the hat trick. 

With a little more than 12 minutes to play in the second half and only trailing by four goals, BC was still threatening to hand Maryland its first loss of the 2013 season.

Yet the extended possessions and tight defense that had kept the Eagles in contention for the first 48 minutes of regulation suddenly gave way to a devastating Terrapin run. Cummings catalyzed a 5-1 scoring run with a free-position goal past Mata, and teammate Alex Aust responded with two free-position scores of her own to push the visiting team’s advantage to 11-4. 

Although BC freshman standout Sarah Mannelly tried to stop the bleeding with an unassisted goal, Aust fired back with another score at the 5:43 mark. The Maryland senior had completed a second-half hat trick in just over three minutes of play. 

Maryland sophomore Brooke Griffin put the finishing touches on the squad’s eighth victory of the year with a late goal, delivering an eight-point loss to Walker’s Eagles.

Aside from the eight-goal deficit that appeared on the scoreboard at the game’s end, BC’s defense had held the Terrapins to their lowest single-game goal total of the season. Mata recorded seven stops in the losing effort, six of which came in the second half.

On the offensive end, however, BC struggled to create scoring opportunities. The Eagles were outshot by their opponents 29-8 over 60 minutes of play, and limited chances near the net stifled any hope for a late BC run.

After Saturday’s loss, the Eagles will look to muster another gritty defensive effort to go alongside consistent execution when they travel to play rival Boston University on Wednesday.afternoon.