LACROSSE: Eagles Top Crusaders In Opener

Published: Monday, February 18, 2013

Updated: Monday, February 18, 2013 00:02

The women’s lacrosse teamed kicked off its season with a sound victory over the Holy Cross Crusaders. With a final score of 17-8, the Eagles displayed a great deal of promise for the rest of the year.

Saturday’s game, which took place at Holy Cross, was particularly successful for sophomore Covie Stanwick, who set career highs with six goals and nine points. Both senior Brooke Blue and freshman Sarah Mannelly added four goals for Boston College.

While the Crusaders managed to get a few past sophomore goal keeper Emily Mata, Mata made seven saves to keep Holy Cross at bay while the Eagles pushed against the Holy Cross goal keeper, Sarah Weber.

The Eagles and the Crusaders both had a strong first half, finishing with a score of 6-4 in favor of BC. Goals from Blue and Mannelly strengthened the BC lead to 8-5 after the Crusaders scored early in the second half. After another goal for Holy Cross, a fourth goal from Stanwick brought the score to 9-6. 

Another successful shot from the Crusaders was answered with three straight goals by the Eagles, two from Mannelly and one from Moira Barry, bringing the score to 12-7. The Crusaders scored once more, but the game was settled by a four goal streak from the Eagles. Both Blue and Stanwick scored twice during this run.

BC has beaten Holy Cross 17 out of the last 20 times the two have met on the lacrosse field. Additionally, the Eagles have won their last five season openers. Women’s lacrosse finished out last season with a record of 10-8 overall and 1-4 within the conference. The Eagles will take on Vanderbilt at home on Feb. 20 at 2 p.m.