LACROSSE: Late Run Leads To BC Upset

Asst. Sports Editor

Published: Thursday, February 28, 2013

Updated: Thursday, February 28, 2013 00:02

With rain falling, pushed horizontally by gusts of wind, the University of Connecticut Huskies and Boston College Eagles lined up for a stormy afternoon lacrosse matchup.

Rankings separated the teams by 17 spots, BC coming in at No. 20 and UConn at 37, but at the end of the day numbers didn’t stand the test of the game. An unyielding Connecticut offense led the Huskies past BC to a win with a final score of 13-8.

The Huskies went up early as their first goal of the game came off of a foul that gave them position right in front of the goal. Carly Palmucci beat BC goalie Emily Mata for the score. 

Though BC responded by taking the ball right down to the opposite end, solid perimeter defense by the Huskies held them at bay as the Eagles struggled to break through toward the net. Upon finally breaking through, the Eagles’ first shot of the game from senior Brooke Blue went just wide.

Gaining possession off of the wide shot, UConn took control and answered the attempt with another goal off a foul to take a 2-0 lead.

After another wide attempt from the perimeter, BC got on the board with just under 20 minutes remaining in the half when Mikaela Rix drove toward the net from the left side to earn herself an unassisted goal.

For the final 20 minutes of the half, the teams went back and forth. Plagued by turnovers on both ends, each of the teams was able to create chances all the way up and down the field. The scoring alternated with BC goals coming from Rix, sophomore Covie Stanwick, junior Moira Berry, and junior Cali Ceglarski.

BC had more shots than UConn, tallying 13 to the Huskies’ nine, but goalie Emily Mata made just two saves during the first half, allowing UConn to hold the lead going into the intermission with a score of 7-5.

To start the second half, BC dominated the possession of the ball leading them to strike first as Rix captured her third goal of the game just over two minutes in.

The Huskies tried to answer quickly as they were given possession at midfield off of a BC foul, but Mata stopped a shot for her third save of the game.

Just over six minutes into the half, BC came back to tie the game when Blue struck again off of a pass from Stanwick. The deficit that the Eagles had fought from the second minute of play in the first half was behind them.

The back and forth nature of the first half was over. With help from a series of fouls from the Huskies, the Eagles maintained the offensive zone for nearly the entirety of the first 10 minutes of the half, forcing Connecticut to take the first timeout of the game after a goal from Stanwick with 20 minutes remaining in the game gave the Eagles their first lead.

The timeout paid off when the Huskies tied the game just over a minute later and continued to score five more unanswered goals taking a 12-8 lead. As BC had dominated the first 10 minutes of the half, UConn dominated the second. BC was able to get some time in the Huskie zone, but the strong perimeter that UConn had established in the first half of play carried through.

After a sixth unanswered goal, head coach Acacia Walker called her team to a short huddle. Her efforts, however, did not prove as fruitful as Connecticut’s and BC was unable to answer as the clock wound down. The final score was Huskies 13, Eagles 8.

Top contributors for UConn included Palmucci, whose four goals set the tone for the Huskie offense, and goalie Shannon Nee, whose six saves in the first half contributed immensely to Connecticut’s lead.

There were also bright spots on the Eagles’ end, as Rix finished the night with three goals.

It was the Eagles’ second loss of the season, and one that they will want to move past quickly with their matchup against top ranked Northwestern on the horizon. n