LACROSSE: Mannelly's Late Effort Earns Win

Published: Monday, April 22, 2013

Updated: Monday, April 22, 2013 00:04

Freshman Sarah Mannelly scored twice in the last six minutes to silence a four-goal streak from Canisius, which tied the game at 10, and put the No. 18 Eagles ahead 12-10. 

Mannelly recorded three total goals on the day, and sophomore Michaela Rix contributed four more, as the Eagles outgunned the Golden Griffins yesterday at the Newton Campus Lacrosse Field. 

This win puts the Eagles at an 11-6, 3-2 ACC record, and their winning streak now stands at seven games, a school record.

The Golden Griffins were the first to score, as Canisius sophomore Maria Kotas scored around two minutes into the game.

That set off a four-goal streak for the Eagles, in which Rix scored her first two of the afternoon.

In the rest of the first half, the scoring heavily favored Boston College, and the Eagles headed into the break with an 8-3 lead.

Canisius did manage to close the scoring gap at 4-3, but then BC went on another four-goal streak, ending with Caroline Margolis hitting the back of the net with seven seconds left in the half.

The second half started much the same as the first, with BC scoring through Kara Magley, assisted by Margolis.

But, then Canisius gained some momentum and went on a 7-1 run to tie up the game at 10-10 with 12:01 left in the game.

This is when Mannelly scored her two game-winning goals, the first of which consisted of beating her defender with a spin move.

She ended the game’s scoring with a drive from the top of the arc, to drop Canisius.

The Eagles are now 3-0 all time against Canisius, who sit at 11-4, 5-0 MAAC.

With this game being the last regular season home game, it was senior night, honoring Brooke Blue, Jessie Coffield, Ali Meagher, and Kate Rooney.

However, this game also held significance with the recent Boston Marathon bombings, as the team went onto the field with an American flag.

The game was in fact rescheduled from Saturday to Sunday, due to Friday’s manhunt.

The Eagles will now head into the ACC tournament, with a quarterfinal game against Virginia Tech on Thursday in Chapel Hill, NC. The game will be televised on RSN and ESPN3.

The winner of the No. 3 seeded Eagles and No. 6 seeded Hokies will go on to play North Carolina the next day.