MEN'S BASKETBALL: Eagles Haunted By Slow Start

Published: Thursday, February 28, 2013

Updated: Thursday, February 28, 2013 00:02

Even on the wrong end of a blowout, Olivier Hanlan and Joe Rahon logged a ton of minutes for the Eagles.  Hanlan and Rahon played 34 and 36 minutes respectively and combined for 20 points. Hanlan once again managed to get to the basket better than anyone else on BC, but appeared to be unnerved at times by the big frontcourt of NC State. He did continue his recent hot shooting from 3-point range, however, going 2-for-4 from behind the arc. Rahon, meanwhile, went just 2-for-7 from the field but added 5 assists. Hanlan and Rahon both played close to their average for minutes on the season and continue to be the only two freshmen averaging in the top 10 for minutes in ACC play this season.

Paint Tells the Story

After dropping 23 points in his last outing against Duke, Ryan Anderson struggled for the majority of the game on Wednesday.  The sophomore put up 12 points and six rebounds, but started the game just 1-of-6 from the field and had only two points after the first half.  Anderson ended the game 4-of-10 from the field, but appeared hesitant to try any post moves against the much larger Wolfpack front court.  On the defensive end, NC State had their way in the paint.  They pulled down 14 offensive rebounds and beat the Eagles on the glass 38-24 overall.  The Wolfpack forwards put up 46 points overall and dominated BC in the paint. The Eagles were once again significantly undersized as Dennis Clifford played only 11 minutes and Eddie Odio found himself on the wrong end of a number of mismatches on the defensive end.  

Slow Start Dooms Eagles

After a Dennis Clifford dunk opened the game for the Eagles, NC State went on a 14-0 run that set the tone for the rest of the night.  The 14 unanswered points consisted of only two BC turnovers, but a number of possessions that ended in contested looks and bad shots.  On the defensive end, the Wolfpack grabbed a few offensive rebounds but mainly took advantage of the Eagles in transition and because of some good ball movement.  The run was completed when Olivier Hanlan drove to the basket and attempted a layup, but was emphatically rejected by Wolfpack star C.J. Leslie.  The block started an NC State fastbreak that ended with a dunk by Rodney Purvis that send the home crowd into a frenzy. The dunk made the score 14-2 and put the Eagles in an early hole that they would not dig themselves out of.

Wood Goes Off

After holding Scott Wood mostly in check during their first matchup, the Eagles were unable to contain the sharpshooter on Wednesday.  Wood went 5-10 from 3-point range and dropped 17 points on the night, second only to Rodney Purvis for the Wolfpack. BC tried a number of different looks throughout the night, but Patrick Heckmann and Eddie Odio couldn’t stick with him in man-to-man looks and the zone defense lost him on a few times. For one of the best 3-point shooters in ACC history, a few open looks proved to be enough as Wood knocked down a number of threes to take momentum from the Eagles.

Jackson  Leads the Way

Lonnie Jackson was the leading scorer for BC, dropping 16 points coming off the bench for the Eagles.  Jackson went 5-of-10 from the field and 3-of-6 from three point range and managed to keep the game close at times in the first half.  After the Eagles fell behind early, Jackson tipped in a rebound and made two 3-point shots that helped BC cut an early 12 point deficit to five points. Another 3-pointer at the end of the first half saw BC get within three points, the closest they would be.