MEN'S BASKETBALL: Miami Dominates BC On The Glass

Updated: Wednesday, February 6, 2013 21:02

BC

A poor shooting night and a noticeable disadvantage in size doomed the Boston College men’s basketball team Tuesday night as they fell to the No. 8 Miami Hurricanes 72-50 in their second of two meetings this season. The Eagles previously lost to the Hurricanes by just one point, but saw this game get out of hand quickly. 

Injury continued to plague center Dennis Clifford and he was unable to make as much of an impact in this game as he did in the first, enabling Miami to assert its dominance in the paint. The Eagles allowed 14 offensive rebounds and lost the battle on the boards 39-27. Head coach Steve Donahue was quick to admit his concern about his team’s rebounding ability, explaining that with an undersized team, almost everything has to go right.

“Obviously, our Achilles’ heel is on the glass,” Donahue said in a press conference after the game. “We haven’t done a good job of that recently, and teams realize that. Obviously we talked about it enough, but we didn’t do it and it really hurt us. We don’t have a lot of margin for error there with our size.”

Miami opened the first half with some hot shooting and jumped out to an early lead that they would never give up. Playing a tight man-to-man defense, the Hurricanes showed their skill and athleticism on the defensive side of the ball, rarely letting the Eagles get to the hoop and not giving up many good looks from deep. On the defensive end, BC was unable to do the same. The Hurricanes got to the hoop, hit their open shots, and always seemed to be in position to grab an offensive rebound when they missed. A Lonnie Jackson 3-pointer pulled the Eagles within 10 at the half with a score of 33-23. The discrepancy on the court seemed to be much greater. As Donahue said, Miami is a very complete team and once they get going, they are hard to stop.

“When you start believing in yourselves, it snowballs,” Donahue said. “You have a team with an incredible amount of confidence. They are talented, they’re older, and there are not a lot of weaknesses.”

The Eagles came out strong in the opening minutes of the second half, scoring a few quick buckets to cut the lead to six and looking poised to threaten Miami with their first loss in ACC play. The Hurricanes responded with a 17-4 run, however, that effectively put the game out of reach. The run centered around the deep shooting of Kenny Kadji, who in the span of just four possessions managed to put up 10 points that included two 3-pointers. Donahue got right to the point when discussing the Kadji’s shots, saying that they basically ended the game.

“Just, really daggers,” Donahue said. “At that point we were hanging on. They were physically handing it to us.”

From that point Miami coasted and BC was unable to make any sort of run of their own to bridge the gap. The undersized BC team never got back within single digits and saw themselves fall once again in ACC play 72-50. Sophomore forward Ryan Anderson summed it up best after the game.

“They bring big body after big body,” Anderson said at the press conference. “That’s where they pretty much won the game—on the glass.”

Olivier Hanlan led the Eagles with 16 points, and Anderson added another 14 to go with his 11 rebounds, but BC shot just 37 percent from the field and just under 22 percent from 3-point range. Freshman guard Joe Rahon was also held without a point and attempted just four shots after scoring 26 over the weekend against Clemson to be named ACC rookie of the week. The Eagles recent struggles from the free throw line also continued, as they shot just 50 percent as a team. They will return to action Sunday at 6 p.m., when they host the No. 4 Duke Blue Devils.